skimming, do you give you 1st coat a flattener once its on the wall/ceiling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well is deffinately easier for second coating if you do flatten it.

Some dont think its worth the extra time doing it.

i do i have seen spreads not and once they were finished the high spots of the first unflattened coat always grinned through the top coat, was still smooths mind but just looked unprofessional

i always flatten 1st coat , especially on bigger areas , well worth the extra time methinx

i have always done it. now and again [maybe two a year]i havent and i think it makes hell of a difference.ive met alot who dont but it works for me

It's only ever one coat for me.I used to do two but just the one now.grease joint in and fly it on .I seem to be in total control no matter how big or small.done about 100 35square meter ceilings over the past year all worked a treat.

if your unsure, don't do the job pay me and i'll do it you!!! Or as freerider says flatten it 1st in the bucket!!!.

Yes I always flatten the 1st coat with either a 18" trowel or a spatular. Makes all the difference. :RpS_laugh:

Try it mate fill you're joints and beads one thick coat let it pick up put a trowel over it wet it down sponge trowel

very rarely do i flatten. My first coat is fairly tight anyhow. It's all about working smarter, not harder.

I dont usually flatten my first coat as its usually flat but if i do spot a bit thats not i just flatten as im going its easier that way i just try and keep every thing as neat as possible.

Its not a matter of being neat enough to not flatten, I can lay on me first coat spotlessly esspecially over board work (less likely over artex etc/ as the thickness your putting it on and you can get bubbles etc/) but... Id still rather flatten it before my second coat as its simply that, flatter to lay onto!

cheers for all the replies guys, im out in oz atm. not skimmed a wall in a few years but got some gear out here we are going to be sticking over boards. looking froward to it. Alot of you seem to be using spoge floats now, i thought they were for 1 coats or getting out of the shite!! also those new fangled refina massive trowells look pretty sweet.

cheers for all the replies guys, im out in oz atm. not skimmed a wall in a few years but got some gear out here we are going to be sticking over boards. looking froward to it. Alot of you seem to be using spoge floats now, i thought they were for 1 coats or getting out of the shite!! also those new fangled refina massive trowells look pretty sweet.
Which part of oz are u in. I was emmigrating a few years ago, cant go now, medical reasons. Nephew in Perth.

Yeah what part of Ozz are you mate, i cant believe they are shipping out Spanish stuff all that way some of its OK but BG stuff is better what do you normaly use, when i was in WA in 81 it was S&C and this white finish, forget the sponge float mate they are for one coat and getting out of the shite its just that on site here prices are s**t and some of the lads have adaptet sponge float methods to make a weeks wages, not good in my opinion but needs be.

in sydney mate, theres loads of spanish gear out here. For some reason no BG stuff as yet. Its pretty much all s/c and a lime based hardset for a finish coat but thats only on super high end stuff. Mainly its a painted sponged render internally or tape n joint painted.

Me and me mate have started pushing placofino on architects and builders and were having a great response so far. The rates out here are still pretty good tbh. Especially in the high end builds (too much cash out here).

SO fingers crossed we are going to be skimming over boards and this will be deemed a Luxury finish!!!! Crazy really.

The gear they have is the Proyalbi stuff one coat, s/c, and we are getting in placofino and ibertop.

CANT believe people are giving their roughing on coat a flatten, biggest waste of time ive ever heard of and cant believe nobody has introduced multie to oz coz they would make a killin.

Done a job this afternoon and flattened after my first and to be honest it never really made a difference in the finished wall, just seems like a time filler between

Status
Not open for further replies.