skimming big ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Right, how do you plaster a huge ceiling? and what do you do if the finish starts to go off before you have finished putting on?

I have some huge ceilings lined up but putting them off due to being unsure.

CHeers

Danny

I use a sort of rolling gauge method. Need someone knocking up for you, stilts, clear room and a lot of energy.
Start laying on first load (half normal amount) (section1) and flatten off while second load is coming (normal size).
Second load acts as second coat for section 1 and first for next section (section 2). Trowel up all of it while third load coming. (this is first trowel second coat for section 1 and flattening off for first coat section 2)
Third load does second coat for section 2 and first coat for third bit (section 3). Then do second trowel up for section 1, first trowel for section 2 and flatten off section 3.
Next load is second coat for section 3 and first coat for section 4. Now you should be second trowelling section 2 and first trowelling section 3 and flattening off section 4 as section 1 should now be done.
and so on and so on......

In this way you are always laying on to a wet edge so no lines. Lots of running around and no breaks but very rewarding.

How big are the ceilings?

By the way that job has very little hardwall now I've looked at it but I could do with a hand on a "ceiling day" as I'd like to get them out the way. It'll be in November. You still interested I'll give you a call.

ah magic thanks for that bit of advice must have a go at that.

Yep I may have a couple of jobs for you too.

Danny

I wish I'd read that before I got into that huge ceiling yesterday! It went off before i'd finished putting on and I got in a right pickle - came out alright in the end but I was totally wiped out - it took twice as long as it should. Painful hard work - lesson learned, nice system dpbeds cheers.

I still not used this system never really had the guts too.... I think I am going to learn a lot from you.
:D
Danny

When you say big how big?.assuming its new board at a standard height and a straightforward shape
On your own with a rolling hit 60-70m2 is easily achieved 70-100m2 and you want a big pot of C-O-T or get another plasterer on it with you, much bigger and you need to split it in two.

I never put more than 20m2 without splitting these days...I put joins anywhere I fancy a break including walls...if you master blending you never see them and damn site easier on the body...

sod all that rolling gauge malarkey...stop have a butty cup a tea and start another gauge...you don't have to be a hero in this game..just good and clean and tidy!!!

The lad I work with said few years ago they had two cups of plaster one with sugar one with out and the one with sugar didn't set for a good hour after the other one.
Try it lets us no what u think.

You make a fair point @zombie but not sure I could pull that off :)

you could @Danny its just fear of the unknown mate....next time you have a wall in your house or even set up a few boards in your garage etc and do a couple of blends and then when dried paint them...

once you've got the confidence plastering big areas becomes sooooooo much easier...

like I always say il do a damn site better job of a 40m2 ceiling if its split into with a blend than a 40m2 without...

I know il walk away with as near to perfect as I can leave....wouldn't want to see an attempt at a 40m2 on my tod!!! lol

ps....same as when I do hsl....first gauge is the upstairs ceiling and tops of walls off the batton over the stairs...then just pick up at height I can reach on all remaining walls...

no messing up and down etc on them long stairs walls struggling feck that!!!

I may try that next week got a couple of doorwaus to float and set and need To drag it out :) but if I go home early it's a win won :)

Status
Not open for further replies.