skimming around skirts, picture rails etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

Evening,

I've started a couple walls in my 'lovely' new house:

27092012142.jpg 01102012155.jpg 24092012134.jpg

..and its going quite well, retained quite a bit from the intensive course last year. Main area I need to improve on is making sure the coverage is even as I do have a couple thin bits.

Anyways :)...

the house is pretty tired and while some of the skirt leave a 5mm-10mm profile along the top some of them are almost flush with the wall so once skimmed i'm a little concerned about these edges. I've taken a couple skirts off and being an old place they either don't come off easily or go back on easily.

What would you chaps do? bite the bullet and remove the skirts for a good finish bearing in mind that you may have to buy new or just skim on top as not everyone is a plasterer so they probably won't notice anyway.

Cheers

If the lip of the skirting is all over the place I would rip them off which will probably pull some of the plaster off also, then patch this up with browning/hardwall before skimming the Walls & fix new skirting on top :RpS_thumbup:

as above!!
i take it that they are high ceilings, if so make sure you buy 7/inch skirts to replace!! nothing worse than a room with tall ceilings with shitty 4inch skirts on

If the lip of the skirting is all over the place I would rip them off which will probably pull some of the plaster off also, then patch this up with browning/hardwall before skimming the Walls & fix new skirting on top :RpS_thumbup:

That's what I thought. One question:

if I patch the bottom with bonding do I have to skim that the same day/after it goes off?

bubbles might have it

herds take them off in every room you need to and spend the rest of the day bonding it up start skimming the next day

Cheers

just found out the skirting is 'torus' profile which is common as muck so replacing dodgy ones shouldn't be a hassle.

For 45 degree angles around bays (like the 3rd picture which has decroative molding between the alcove wall and the bay).... 3mm stop beads?

Just use skim mate :RpS_thumbup:Or if you want you can use gripfill or spray contact adhesive or nails :RpS_thumbsup:Where are you based & where did you do the wonder course :RpS_biggrin:

Use multi? you mean mix a little bit up and fix the beads with that then when after it goes off its ready to skim? surely not mix a load up to skim and fix the beads just before starting on the wall? :)

PGL in exeter I think the name was, was 3 of us in a few bays with a teacher, was good. Still have a lot to learn though but seem to be doing ok so far, the main area i need to concentrate on is 'just getting it on' when laying on as I can't help myself but go over bits. I was amazed the teacher said that people start private work after these courses though.

Status
Not open for further replies.