Skimming a wall tips

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggybear

Hi, bought a house recently, and trying to learn how to skim walls. Had a bit of practise already, no problems putting it on the walls evenly, mixing etc. Hardest part is getting a good smooth finish. Obviously I know this will come with time. I was told to use a sponge float as it will make the job easier. Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on using a sponge as not sure if i am putting too much water on it. And any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Also as the wall is drying, noticing a few little uneven patches.

Alright bud, and welcome to the asylum, where are you in relation to plasterin!!! Diyer or playing with it?????

Huggy,

your over-skimming the existing walls ? Yes?
The "brotherhood" really need to know how your approaching it.
1) firstly as FA asked, what level are you at?
2) what are you skimming ? the type of wall
3) prep etc etc

Best to give us an overview and we can help.
Better still tell us what you have and we can tell you how to approach it, and even do it; but you have to have the ability to achieve it.

However, remember this as our friend mark twain once said:

"To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence."

Rock on !

Welcome to the forum huggybear :RpS_thumbup:
Where did you do your short course?
And where are you based maybe you could get a quote from a plasterer off here :RpS_biggrin:

Ps Throw the fcukin spongefloat in the skip/bin/out the window!!!!
:RpS_thumbup:

Welcome to the forum huggybear :RpS_thumbup:
Where did you do your short course?
And where are you based maybe you could get a quote from a plasterer off here :RpS_biggr
Ps Throw the fcukin spongefloat in the skip/bin/out the window!!!!bmore good adviced
:RpS_thumbup:
more good advice from the forum

Forget pva for now. If you're a diyer you will need time to get it on so use wba, blue grit or plasprime. Apply it 24hrs before skimming.

Get your first coat on quickly. It doesn't have to be too neat but try to keep the lines and hollows to a minimum.

Once it has picked up a little give it a flatten. Take any lines out and fill the hollows. Make sure your edges are tidy.

Mix second coat wetter and you use roughly half the amount of the first coat. This should have no hollows in and practically no lines.

Once it has picked up again give it a flatten keeping your trowel wet. The wall should be flat but not smooth now. Clean your edges again.

Let it set a bit then give it another trowel this time splashing a little water on the wall.

Allow it to dry more and give it another trowel using a small amount of water again. Brush your angles In using a wet 1" brush.

Give it a cross trowel only wetting the trowel and this will polish it to a decent finish. DO NOT OVER POLISH as it makes it a pain for paint to adhere to.

Yeah skimming over old walls. Removed the wallpaper, about 3 layers of the stuff. Alot of the plaster came off, Plaster was pretty good, the render behind was the problem, very crumbly. Removed all loose material, filled in using bonding coat. Pva on all walls. I am a novice, had a little practice before when labouring, but otherwise this is my first time skimming. Like i said, been learning a little by talking to a few of plastering friends and getting advice.

Alreet huggy you ghetto pip, welcome to the forum. exactly what beddy said..:RpS_thumbup:

Knickers To Fanny

Henry, I bought a £10 pound trowel but wondering do i need to spend a lot more on a better one and are the 16" trowels only for advanced plasterers or would it make my job easier. Been skimming the walls so far, no problems getting the plaster on, struggling to get it smooth. Wondering about doing a short course or getting a plasterer in to teach me the basics as i really want to learn this unique skill. should 2 coats always be applied on old plaster walls? skimmed the ceiling, only did 1 coat as it was onto plasterboard but there are dips and messed up the edges. Any more advice on how to sort this out apart from getting someone else in to do it.

Yeah skimming over old walls. Removed the wallpaper, about 3 layers of the stuff. Alot of the plaster came off, Plaster was pretty good, the render behind was the problem, very crumbly. Removed all loose material, filled in using bonding coat. Pva on all walls. I am a novice, had a little practice before when labouring, but otherwise this is my first time skimming. Like i said, been learning a little by talking to a few of plastering friends and getting advice.

if u have plastering friends wtf asking us for ffs. my advice get your plastering friends to do it. £10 trowel :RpS_lol:

why not get them "few plastering friends" to give you a hand! maybe you could pay them and help out mixing, at least that way if you are watching and helping and they are good tradesmen you will learn young jedi.
its all in the trowel time,practice practice practice.

If you want to learn to plaster mate the only way to do it is take a four year apprenticeship on crap money for this period doing all the shite work carrying 8by4s up 3 story houses on your own make tea for everybody then listen to em moan go to fish shop everyday .have the pee taken out of u constantly never have a sweeping brush out of your hand get moaned at for lumpy mixes then when u do qualify tow your knacks off to win jobs for crap money that's the only way to learn. Excuse me just having a rant just been given backword on job was hoping to get

I agreed what's said above!!!The final coat or top coat of plaster is probably the most important as it is the last cover that will be seen, this cover of plaster is often termed as a skimmed.Going over needs exercise so don't jump immediately in and plaster the residing space area,have a exercise on a little upper level space that is out of vision.

I agreed what's said above!!!The final coat or top coat of plaster is probably the most important as it is the last cover that will be seen, this cover of plaster is often termed as a skimmed.Going over needs exercise so don't jump immediately in and plaster the residing space area,have a exercise on a little upper level space that is out of vision.
Sounds like Irish is back with a wind up.

Status
Not open for further replies.