Skim over artex ceiling

Members online

Skimplaster

I've made a botch of this job I tried to follow a guide for new plasterers on YouTube which suggested a thick mix which was a a big mistake. This is the first coat, as you can see there are a lot of Hollows and holes. It is only a small room 2-m x 2-m I don't really want to scrape off what I've done because Artex has asbestos in it. How should I go about fixing this maybe a skim coat on top of it would get rid of of the bumps and Hollows...? Or should I sack it off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_191651_7.jpg
    IMG_20210816_191651_7.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 367
Sack it off fella you couldn't do the first coat properly,and putting another coat on top of that you would never keep on top of the suction as a diy and would look worse just pay a plasterer to do it will be done in a couple of hours

I've made a botch of this job I tried to follow a guide for new plasterers on YouTube which suggested a thick mix which was a a big mistake. This is the first coat, as you can see there are a lot of Hollows and holes. It is only a small room 2-m x 2-m I don't really want to scrape off what I've done because Artex has asbestos in it. How should I go about fixing this maybe a skim coat on top of it would get rid of of the bumps and Hollows...? Or should I sack it off.

Have you got a little heater?

Sack it off fella you couldn't do the first coat properly,and putting another coat on top of that you would never keep on top of the suction as a diy and would look worse just pay a plasterer to do it will be done in a couple of hours
Of course I made a right mess of it, but I didn't help that I got mixed up with the wrong angle of the float to start with, watched so many YouTube videos it mashed my head, so when I thought you were meant to have the wide angle on the opposite side and then close it - Basically... back to front so no wonder it went wrong.. Only realized mistake afterwards.

Assuming I get a pro in, what is best option? Board over and skim or just a skim? BTW everyone needs a little practice to get up to speed... Practice makes perfect!

It's always best to overboard artex ceilings as it's guaranteed,nonetheless less your first coat has adhered to the artex,it can be skimmed again but leave it to a professional,skimming over new plaster that has fully dried out, is dry and loves suction you probably won't even get half of the ceiling laid on before it's dried on ya

All due respect doesn't matter you skimmed half your ceiling with the angle of your trowel back to front you only managed to do half a ceiling plastering a ceiling especially artexed one isn't a DIY job for a first timer,these plastering videos on YouTube are bullshit there good for some basics and maybe having a go at a patch or inside a cupboard but that's it,

Assuming I get a pro in, what is best option? Board over and skim or just a skim? BTW everyone needs a little practice to get up to speed... Practice makes perfect!
Yes a few years learning the trade and then many years gaining experience on top of that helps.

Yes a few years learning the trade and then many years gaining experience on top of that helps.
Didn't realise you started plastering straight out of the womb. Everyone has to start somewhere and doing a small area in your own home seems a good place to have a first go.

Didn't realise you started plastering straight out of the womb. Everyone has to start somewhere and doing a small area in your own home seems a good place to have a first go.

Easy tiger.

What Nicm said is true, even though it might sting to hear it. Plastering is a skill that takes a lot of practice, and yes, you have to start somewhere, but you unfortunately chose to run before you can walk.

Plastering walls takes a lot of practice.

Plastering a ceiling takes a lot more practice (and effort) than walls.

Plastering an artex ceiling is even more challenging, for several reasons.

Not knocking you for trying, but maybe try a few small walls to begin with.

As for your ceiling, yes, it really would be best to get a professional spread in to do that.

Personally, I would recommend you get the ceiling overboarded first, but there are many who will tell you you don't need to - and there are many failed jobs where an overskim onto artex has cracked and shelled-off the ceiling, which is why those that recommend overboarding recommend overboarding. You have to bear in mind that to just overskim artex means applying a thick coat of plaster to cover the peaks of the artex - and thick plaster is heavy and doesn't flex well. If you have some flex in your ceiling joists when someone walks on it, upstairs, then there is always the risk that that thick coat of rigid plaster will shell-off the ceiling.

I realise that skimming over artex ceiling is really a heck of a tough one and the wrong one to try first. I am full of admiration for the pros who do it not least as they have to keep the work area clean! Mine was an absolute sh** tip! You'll be glad to hear I've opted for boarding and got plasterer in to do it.

I realise that skimming over artex ceiling is really a heck of a tough one and the wrong one to try first. I am full of admiration for the pros who do it not least as they have to keep the work area clean! Mine was an absolute sh** tip! You'll be glad to hear I've opted for boarding and got plasterer in to do it.

A couple of things to bear in mind when you're learning (and I'm assuming you only learn on your own property!):

1) always wear safety glasses when you're doing a ceiling. Any lapse in trowel control and you can easily get plaster in your eye, and that is a very bad thing to happen.
www.plasterersforum.com/threads/plaster-in-the-eye.84893/post-1482085

2) always remember that the skill of plastering is not only about learning trowel control but also about learning suction control for different substrates. There is wide variation in how different walls and substrates behave and you have to build up an understanding of this or you'll run into problems, even once you've started to get used to the trowel. It's not as simple as just slapping on a coat of diluted PVA and assuming you're good to go.

Don't be so hard on yourself, looks fine to me..........

Now that Ive decided to overboard it I am worried that it may contain asbestos. I've not had it tested. And now I'm getting a plaster in to do it for me I've no guarantee that he will use a stud / joist detector to screw some neat, tidy holes - he may just bash holes through to find joists as this is much quicker, but obviously this could be dangerous as it disturbs the asbestos and releases it into the air. Even if neat screw holes are drilled this would still disturb the asbestos potentially and push fragments of it behind the board. I know that skimming is not as strong as overboarding but at least it is safe in terms of asbestos. What do you advise?

Here's what it looks like... Its an old house and I'm guessing it could be from 1980s

Attachments

• IMG_20210817_145735_2.jpg
    IMG_20210817_145735_2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 223