sixth sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

went to price a job yesterday unfourtanetly as soon as i met the bloke and he started talking i knew i was wasting my time, in this job you do develop a sixth sense about people ,are they going to pay/getting 10 other quotes/already got somebody but just want to check they are not being ripped off, some customers who have seen to many changing room programmes and when you tell them this is a dirty job they just look in disbelief, gave this bloke a good price he said excellent ,started to talk about when to start etc, said he would ring me back to confirm start that night, but i knew as i drove away it was a complete waste of time,still waiting for phone call, but to be fair i once went to price a job i had a bad feeling also ,turned out he was spot on paid on the nail straight away, but most times i am right and speaking to other lads/trades round here they say the same,in fact one plumber i do work for swears he he can tell on the phone if they are wasting his time

Always ask if they have received any quotes over the phone. If they say "Yes", then you can reasonably assume that they are looking for the cheapest quote :)

If they are domestic customer and know too much plastering lingo, then you can reasonably assume that they have had quotes and are looking for the cheapest :)

If they say that they are looking for a quality finish, then you can reasonably assume that they will not go with the cheapest quote :)

If they throw in the word "best" or "good" course of action, then you can reasonably assume that they are not looking for the cheapest quote :)

Last edited:
I am going through a lot of this. I think I am more of a consultant than a rendering contractor. If they are young then forget it it has to be cheap. Over 50 and maybe.

It's when you have to go to the other side of town or out of town , and it's all coming out of your petrol tank on a fools errand.:RpS_cursing:

I've dabbled in sales DG sales to be precise, which is the worst kind, however it did teach me a few things that I will never forget.

i thought a nice approachable guy like myself who has never been in sales would have a fighting chance as I wouldn't come across as salesman etc, but I failed miserably 1 sale in 12 leads which was a small sale as well.

There is so many tactics its unreal I had a weeks training just on tactics.

I do find that I win more plastering jobs than I did before sales, it's about educating yourself on the customer 4 types apparently

thinker
actor
doer
director

all can be converted if you know how...

I've dabbled in sales DG sales to be precise, which is the worst kind, however it did teach me a few things that I will never forget.

i thought a nice approachable guy like myself who has never been in sales would have a fighting chance as I wouldn't come across as salesman etc, but I failed miserably 1 sale in 12 leads which was a small sale as well.

There is so many tactics its unreal I had a weeks training just on tactics.

I do find that I win more plastering jobs than I did before sales, it's about educating yourself on the customer 4 types apparently

thinker
actor
doer
director

all can be converted if you know how...

come on then yoda............teach us how to use the force.............and i dont mean stress positions

Would be there all night writing this.

so here you go close enough if you are genuinely interested.

4 Types of Customers (and How to Sell to Each of Them)

its about appealing to there personalities in essence.

i was selling a product that was expensive but full of quality which is transferable to what we do.

I'm not the cheapest spread round here nor am I the dearest which is where you want to be hence appealing to there personality...

But wtf do I know 1 sale in 12 lol

Would be there all night writing this.

so here you go close enough if you are genuinely interested.

4 Types of Customers (and How to Sell to Each of Them)

its about appealing to there personalities in essence.

i was selling a product that was expensive but full of quality which is transferable to what we do.

I'm not the cheapest spread round here nor am I the dearest which is where you want to be hence appealing to there personality...

But wtf do I know 1 sale in 12 lol

3 degrees of separation.................:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited:
unfortunately I use to do the same but use to do it on post codes... I knew that certain areas were poor and there was very little point quoting.... Yes I lost work but also meant I did have my time wasted and the van stolen....

Not sure what it would be like nowadays though....

Most middle class people live like pigs from what ive seen........i put it down to them previously being students....last job i did was in a nice estate, nice cars, they both had good jobs and plenty of cash, but there house was a **** hole...........asked them to clear the front room so we could skim the ceiling and they had two massive rabbits running around and we were knee deep in rabbit dottles...FFS

You can never tell by people, I priced many, had the chat blah blah, when could you start blah blah, send us estimate as soon as , then NOTHING....

its why I do day works now, I am cheaper than pre 08 but then we all are but I make enough and I know I am not what I once was either, damn pains in my knee, then my shoulder went, shoulder fine now, now both knees are in bother... it is always something, I do miss proper pricework. but not the hungry people out there now (both clients and trades)

Done a job a few years back ,the geezer had moved from the east end to Kent ,looked a right vill, nose half way across his face,thought price to lose it,not only did I get the job he gave me a oner on top lol.

a mate of mine his grandad is an old bank robber, funny bloke when he comes on site for a little visit some times

allegedly , one I knew moved into an empty block of flats in Peckham, used to go into the local, full of wheeler dealers, no one would talk to him ,used to swerve him and stop talking when he walked in, he late found out, it was a former old Bill block that he was crashing in

Must be an age thing for me. When I was young the elders wouldn't want to know. Now it is the other way around? The young are being tempted by a con merchant with the usual discount for cash but no paper work for tax reasons trick. We have all been there and been stung, well I have. The older people have a disposable income and listen to being sold peace of mind. I think they are old enough to have experienced being robbed in the past for the cash in the danny trick.

Really is wearing me out though looking at jobs and the customer does not know what they want. So get out all the samples and then they say price for the lot! Then after sending them a quote (by email) you never even get an acknowledgement.

I worked for an ex Irish kick boxing champion last year, tough as nails and always challenging you a bit, but always paid out,

Im a lover not a fighter :RpS_thumbsup:.seriously never been knocked in 30 years ,a few close calls tho , fcuk I get done now lol.
only been knocked a few times,Asian for £80 pounds, he moved to wales. Nigerian for £400 or so,(dont want to think about that one.. an english man for £70 which was a days work then, we had priced work for him and there were bits and pieces left, so I said I can only do those on day work, he said how much, I said £70 a day, he said fine, but when it came to paying he refused saying I was on a price, I said you agreed to the day work , he said I agreed to £70 a day but I never pay daywork....

Status
Not open for further replies.