Site standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to school in bishops stortford......not that thats relavent at all haha wheres your site up there then, got to hand it to ya mate thats a fair ol size firm, ive got one person and hes an arsehole......but it is me haha

Nicely put essexandy and very true.I have about 70 lads working at the mo and some sites you just cant put certain lads on but can get away with it on others .got a site down your way in bishops stofford if ya fancy taking alook at our standard all brummie lads working down there for us im sure the boys will make ya a cuppa tea and chew the fat about spreads.The biggest diff between site and private for me is pricework spreads are a different breed mass house bashing is all about volume with more and more higher standards every year,agents after tinpot awards etc
bullshit

Wahey.... this forum does work then :)

Did you get the job to put it right?

Danny

No Danny I made it quite clear that I was to busy to even consider it and was only there to offer my opinion and to represent TPF. I think the fact I wasn't after the work made him take even more notice of what I told him, it was shite.

That's a sweeping statement , what can you back it up with.

Which bit is sweeping? The last bit? Well if so how many really good spreads are there? Not many IMO, I haven't meet many over the years that I would consider really good and haven't looked in on that many jobs (a favourite pass time of mine) and thought, "bloody hell that plastering is sharp". And having spoken to my old man I can tell you it has been the same for many many years, very few really good plasterers, bricklayers, chippies in fact any trade you care to think of. But always lots of people that think they're really good.

Nicely put essexandy and very true.I have about 70 lads working at the mo and some sites you just cant put certain lads on but can get away with it on others .got a site down your way in bishops stofford if ya fancy taking alook at our standard all brummie lads working down there for us im sure the boys will make ya a cuppa tea and chew the fat about spreads.The biggest diff between site and private for me is pricework spreads are a different breed mass house bashing is all about volume with more and more higher standards every year,agents after tinpot awards etc

what percent are paye and self employed?

I think with the end of real apprenticeships a lot of trades started going down the pan. I think you can pick the tools up quick but need a few years to become really comptive at your trade, and thats what is missing not been under the watchful eye of a spread who has time in the saddle. It's about having pride in your work and proud to be a plasterer.

I agree with some of that Henry although neither my old man, one of his brothers or myself did a proper apprenticeship and yet I think we've all been half tidy in our day. I believe 90% of being a good tradesman is about attitude, I don't think anything we do is rocket science but having it in yourself to not accept anything less than a really good standard from yourself is paramount. As you said pride in what you do.

It's called time served Andy. I've got an offer to go to Holland to do a plastering course for a British firm. I went to university doing a degree in one of the best uni's in Europe but half way through jacked it in to go back plastering for my dad, a proper time served Irish spread,. He used to teach apprenticeship plastering years ago in London and now they're saying would my plastering qualifications be recognised ? Yeah right

the trade become to fragmented now to ever become classed as a trade anymore, I suppose it's just the way it is.

It's called time served Andy. I've got an offer to go to Holland to do a plastering course for a British firm. I went to university doing a degree in one of the best uni's in Europe but half way through jacked it in to go back plastering for my dad, a proper time served Irish spread,. He used to teach apprenticeship plastering years ago in London and now they're saying would my plastering qualifications be recognised ? Yeah right
Is that to teach or actually do a course?

Its the way they are taught i think, ive been working with a 22 year old Chippie this week who is all Makitad up and thinks he is the bollox and is actualy slow and rough with little experiance and gets the hump when you try and help him out after he has put so many holes in a frame trying to fit a keep it should be condemned.

LOL.............................It's usually the 'gunslingers' that are sh!te, so many tools hanging off their belts they couldn't fkin work if they wanted:-0

Is that to teach or actually do a course?

They want me to teach the one hour course. It may be contreversial but spreads can earn 2/3 grand a week after the course. Nisus is handling the bookings on here. Pm him or attack his website :RpS_biggrin:

I agree with some of that Henry although neither my old man, one of his brothers or myself did a proper apprenticeship and yet I think we've all been half tidy in our day. I believe 90% of being a good tradesman is about attitude, I don't think anything we do is rocket science but having it in yourself to not accept anything less than a really good standard from yourself is paramount. As you said pride in what you do.

I totaly agree with Andy,I get a bit cheesed off now and then but still get a lot of pleasure when i leave the customer happy,non of this lets get the job as quick as possible and giz the money always leave a good and tidy job (learnt that in the fist week 1977 ).

I totaly agree with Andy,I get a bit cheesed off now and then but still get a lot of pleasure when i leave the customer happy,non of this lets get the job as quick as possible and giz the money always leave a good and tidy job (learnt that in the fist week 1977 ).

My granddad taught my dad, who has now taught me that is all about getting as much as possible on the walls and then get the **** out of there once you been paid. 3 generations of shite plasterers here :RpS_thumbsup:

I too shall pass these skills on when the time comes

hi lemuk i been house bashing for twenty years now and im near bishops stortford (no i dont need any work) do you get all this shite with them going round with a halogen shining it at every angle before its been mist coated

no not there mate had one in stafford on tues sending hid dep round with a torch.keeps the patchers busy mate lol

They want me to teach the one hour course. It may be contreversial but spreads can earn 2/3 grand a week after the course. Nisus is handling the bookings on here. Pm him or attack his website :RpS_biggrin:

2/3 grand a week? just teaching? s**t the fcuking bed!!

tell you what you cant beat the feeling you get when the couple/person you have just done a job for tells you how happy they are with your work!! and im not just on about the one walll where they cant see it its shiit or not cos its still wet (walks down the drive with a skip in his step!!)

nicely put essexandy and very true.i have about 70 lads working at the mo and some sites you just cant put certain lads on but can get away with it on others .got a site down your way in bishops stofford if ya fancy taking alook at our standard all brummie lads working down there for us im sure the boys will make ya a cuppa tea and chew the fat about spreads.the biggest diff between site and private for me is pricework spreads are a different breed mass house bashing is all about volume with more and more higher standards every year,agents after tinpot awards etc

I have 70 lads working (OH YES YOU DID) lol LOl sorry about the bullshit shot, but there was a big implication that you have 70 spreads working for YOU

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.