Site life

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Good evening gents, it's been quite some time since my last post but I'm after a bit of advice and it seemed the best place to come for it. I'm contemplating switching from domestic work to site work,not enjoying all the agro that comes with domestic work and I just want to do a days work and go home, job done. any tips? Would I need to join a gang or could I get on with myself and a labourer? What's the rates on sites these days? What would I be expected to produce in meterage in a day?

Good evening gents, it's been quite some time since my last post but I'm after a bit of advice and it seemed the best place to come for it. I'm contemplating switching from domestic work to site work,not enjoying all the agro that comes with domestic work and I just want to do a days work and go home, job done. any tips? Would I need to join a gang or could I get on with myself and a labourer? What's the rates on sites these days? What would I be expected to produce in meterage in a day?

If it's skimming only first thing you do is bin the labourer.
Where are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domestic pays more money....how you run it and deal with it is your own makings....you know what your earning , what materials your dealing with,,plus the added bonus of dealing with your clientele.....what aggro do you get??????????????????????

domestic pays more money....how you run it and deal with it is your own makings....you know what your earning , what materials your dealing with,,plus the added bonus of dealing with your clientele.....what aggro do you get??????????????????????
Not agro literally, just the sheeting up cleaning up pricing up etc. I've a young family and it gets a bit time consuming, I've not been in the game that long so I'm just finding where I'm more comfortable and what I enjoy about the trade. I've been working with some family and a lot of the work we do is also a bit of a commute.

Mk so there is an abundance of newbuilds getting thrown up all around me.

If there's plenty of work you've cracked it, just jump on with a subby, ring them up and get prices off them, I'm guessing here like but I'd say MK anywhere from 3 to 4 per m2 for skim only??????
Only you know what ground you will cover, but I'd say there wouldn't be a problem working on your jack?

If there's plenty of work you've cracked it, just jump on with a subby, ring them up and get prices off them, I'm guessing here like but I'd say MK anywhere from 3 to 4 per m2 for skim only??????
Only you know what ground you will cover, but I'd say there wouldn't be a problem working on your jack?

I would say more like £1.80 -£2.40 nothing for beads or loading up and no linear metres oh and to top it off robbing you on the measure :)

That's not bad at all, I could work on my jack as long as I've got a dab with smooth radio tuned in

30 odd years man and boy plastering......been there done this done that...good... reliable ..clean..honest plasterers......are hard to come by ...if you can say yes to all above , stay domestic , ....our old gaffer always said to us "price your job plus 20%".... site bashing just pays the bills .....your better than that ...

It's not Manchester or Grimsby flynnyman lol [emoji51]

It's not Manchester or Grimsby flynnyman lol [emoji51]

:) I know lol it's site work and even worse on houses and a lot of the firms who are doing the jobs in Manchester are doing stuff around the country and I know what they pay :)

If it's skimming only first thing you do is bin the labourer.
Where are you from?

Fcuk that mixing and throwing on! Somehow I always end up with it all over me doing it this way.

So are new builds expensive? A flat in Manchester would cost around £200,000 and they are getting on average £2 a metre

The price of the actual buildings is immaterial, to buy in Manchester isn't cheap, but it is very cheap to live in various commutable surrounding areas.

I don't do many sites these days just the occasional new build that comes up now and again. Imo you get more on with a lab with you, more time to spend on the work and not having to worry about running up and down stairs to fetch water and having another gauge coming while your throwing on helps to.

I don't do many sites these days just the occasional new build that comes up now and again. Imo you get more on with a lab with you, more time to spend on the work and not having to worry about running up and down stairs to fetch water and having another gauge coming while your throwing on helps to.

Can't argue with that.

However it doesn't pay

You get more on but is it enough to cover the labs wages?

Depends what your paying I suppose and what rate your getting, most of sites here are float and set so I'd be working two and one squad. If was all skimming new board I suppose u could manage on your own.

I
Can't argue with that.

However it doesn't pay

. One of the biggest mistakes I made was having a lad mixing skimming for me.Then standing around while I'm like a headless chicken troweling up,beading,and redoing scrim.If your on your own and organise yourself properly you can do well enough on your own (in peace).

Status
Not open for further replies.