silicone round bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassie

I dont use that old saying '' fill the bath , then silicone and leave to dry... my thoughts are.. get the bath fixed properly, so it doesnt move.. even if you fill the bath, it will ''sink'' when the waters out anyway... what you reckon ?

even if you fill the bath, it will ''sink'' when the waters out anyway... what you reckon ?

it wil rise??? :) silicone has its place but is often badly or excessively applied when if the installation is good imo grout is better longer lasting finish.

lol.. yeh.. rise not sink.. its early mate... I use the tape when applying silicone, very neat... just using grout to seal round bath/shower, is ok if its solid ( they do this in Spain, no silicone there... any slight movement though and the grouts gone..

Trust me when you"ve taken few baths out over here you realise where all the site rubble plus" cola blanca" has gone side is also generally brick built and tiled or marble ,have to be an earthquake to move the bath :) did window fiitting for few years so my gunning is good ,but seen it used to cover bad fits and poorly applied looks awful.

Silicone all the time there will always be some movement with people getting in and out of the bath so it needs a bit of flex, tried that tape once and it left a residue on the tiles which was hard to get of if I do tape up I just use masking tape. I fitted a corner bath in my house in Spain bedded it in Yeso then built a curved wall for the bath panel then mosaic tiles, no movement on that one.

Strangely chatting to a chippy mate about that today adding extra supports in the middle as some baths seem pretty flimsy. Used to do a lot of maintenance on rental properties for a customer some of the baths you could move with your hands they must of had 3 tubes of silicone in them. Great fun needing to fix it all properly then clean the mouldy old silicone off. No idea what was being thought when they were fitted.

The fitter that helped me fit our bathrooms once the bath was ready to be fitted we lashed a load of silicone on the edge of the bath and pushed it up into place and fixed to teh wall and what not as you would normally do... This he tells me is a way that has stopped all his baths leaking :)

He also did it to the shower tray as well :)

Filling the bath makes sense ryan.. weight it down:RpS_thumbup:

Last time I done it I didnt fill bath,,, big fail:RpS_thumbdn:

sorry didn't mean the dislike.:RpS_blushing:

I did fit the bath for my mate - did'nt fill in and visit him over 3 years - and it's fine... I put in timber supports underneath and across for legs to rest onto so it not rock and very solid.
Should.have just filled it with water...:RpS_cool:....

save the hassle.

I always half fill the bath unless I'm having a shower,I leave the plug out for showers before a night on the tiles .

Fill the bath ain't pro ? It needs fixed properly as fixings that comes with bath are too flimsy
Yes it is! I worked for a sealant company on sites for a while they all do it. Have you ever worked on site doing sealants? Or do you just repeat what others on here say? :huh:Listen mate in not a bathroom fitter if I'm putting silicone round the bath after I've tiled it, well the way the bath is fixed is nothing to do with me! Comprondo?

Bit of a DIY thing this filling the bath, what about when you let the water out ?? doesnt the bath rise up ?? best to get the bath fitted properly, then it wont move...
Yes the bath rises up that's the whole idea!If I'm there to tile & silicone a job I haven't got time to mess around fixing a bath so it won't move :huh:That's not my job I'm not a plumber, by the time I get there it's already been fitted anyway, so like I said the bath gets filled like all the other pro tilers do :)For you to say it's a DIY thing well that just makes you look like you ain't got a clue lol.Working on pensioners houses is a bit different to proper site work lads :RpS_laugh:

Yes it is! I worked for a sealant company on sites for a while they all do it. Have you ever worked on site doing sealants? Or do you just repeat what others on here say? :huh:Listen mate in not a bathroom fitter if I'm putting silicone round the bath after I've tiled it, well the way the bath is fixed is nothing to do with me! Comprondo?

Chill. Easy. Don't diss Ryan.

[/http://youtu.be/Nn-u1Y21iEY ]

I don't know whitch one is correct however I understand both points, to elaborate on the filling the bath thing this is why I think it's done,
-Ok you fill the bath so it drops slightly
-silicone as normal
-let dry
-let water out so the bath rises slightly compressing the silicone
-when the bath is filled again the silicone will only stretch to where it was when it was put in and not beyond thus not splitting the silicone.

I don't know whitch one is correct however I understand both points, to elaborate on the filling the bath thing this is why I think it's done,
-Ok you fill the bath so it drops slightly
-silicone as normal
-let dry
-let water out so the bath rises slightly compressing the silicone
-when the bath is filled again the silicone will only stretch to where it was when it was put in and not beyond thus not splitting the silicone.

I half filled my bath when i sealed it almost 4 years ago, left water in for 24hrs then let it out and never had a problem. Not sure if its a pro/diy/bodge

Thing to do but it worked for me.

I can back this as tried and tested because at last check my wife and daughters have 367 baths a week then the fairy (hi boys) comes in and cleans it.

It is a strange one this,let's say we fix the bath that well that it won't move,however we have no influence on what floor the bath is stood on ie wooden floor boards,we all know how much they move you can hear and feel them under foot in most properties.
it sounds as if both ways work and both ways have probably failed at some point,silicone will stretch so far before it tears away from the bath or tile,I think like I've said its more to do with the floor its sat on,some move more than others.:)

you seem to have done a few jobs for a 23 yr old... its great to have someone on here with so much experience and knowledge. keep helping us out on here its much appreciated.. site work tiling ?? yeh, thats the highest standard available hey..lol..
Well it has been 7 years since I left school so yeah done plenty of jobs thanks. Don't knock site tiling I've seen much much worse on private work. I think this tiling section stuff has gone to your head mate, no need to pick on people like me because I'm young & you think you know it all lol. I've just found out your a scaffolder, so your a scaffolder on a plasterers forum in charge of the tiling section lmao you couldn't make this shitt up, so funny :RpS_lol:

Why I insist on making the bath solid as opposed to worrying about filling it with water is... what about when the water is in for a bath, then the average 14 st person gets in aswell ?? better to fix the bath properly...
Well this is why you fill the bath full as this later allows for the water & the weight of a person. Because nobody fills the bath full then gets in because the water would just pour over the sides, so let's say the bath is half full of water then a person gets in it's roughly the same weight as a full bath of water if not less. It's all about physics my friend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.