Sika waterproof render

Members online

Monica

Hi, I'm NOT a plasterer, but want some advice. A builder who I want to employ is planning to use Sika waterproof render on an internal party wall and a window wall. He is reputable. He wants to use a multi finish topcaot. Is this ok? Or should he use a limebased topcoat? The walls have a damp issue and my surveyor says not to use any chemical damp proofing as it's an older building.

if it's in a basement area Sika tanking will be good because you don't want the walls to breathe in a basement, possibly the surveyor is recommending against a chemical injected damp treatment into the bricks.

Hi Jess,
So, do you think the multi finish skim over the Sika render is all right then. The builder says he's not had issues before-I'm just worried about a few years from now.

Hi Jess,
So, do you think the multi finish skim over the Sika render is all right then. The builder says he's not had issues before-I'm just worried about a few years from now.
You can use multi

ask five different plasterers about damp and you’ll get five different answers

I don’t know anything about your house or seen the job to say whether I think cement is best but he can use multi over it

Hi, I'm NOT a plasterer, but want some advice. A builder who I want to employ is planning to use Sika waterproof render on an internal party wall and a window wall. He is reputable. He wants to use a multi finish topcaot. Is this ok? Or should he use a limebased topcoat? The walls have a damp issue and my surveyor says not to use any chemical damp proofing as it's an older building.
@John j

I’ve used multi over sika,in the three coat application process,on the advice of the surveyor/client..and they had real damp problems,a house stuck at the bottom of the hill with no soak away etc,..I’ve had no call backs etc,Over a good year ago..so must be ok.
But then again,he had more money than sense and prob a high rise by now

I’ve used multi over sika,in the three coat application process,on the advice of the surveyor/client..and they had real damp problems,a house stuck at the bottom of the hill with no soak away etc,..I’ve had no call backs etc,Over a good year ago..so must be ok.
But then again,he had more money than sense and prob a high rise by now
Thanks Bigsteve. This sounds positive. The builder does seem to know what he's about-it's just Sika saying use limebased topcoat. It gets veeeeery confusing for an ordinary person!

Hi, just to add on top of this thread. Is it possible to put sika (sikalastic) ontop of existing plaster?
My builder mentioned that they won't be stripping off the existing plaster, but I thought you always had to go back to the brick and then build up again for any waterproofing?

Thanks in advance!