• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_skim

alritey fella spreads...hope all is well,
bin plastering just under 7 years now, alls goin ok so far,
recently i hav been a naughty boy and got put on probhation for a year...my probhation officer sed he can get a grant if i want to complete my nvq, ive got nvq 1, which is worth nack all..but i was just askin for advice whether to crack on n get my 2nd year
worked for a few companys, the last company i worked for there was 8 of us on the spread n none of them had been to college...i thort it wud be more hassle than its worth to carry on with my college..espesh when most of our work was price, n theres me f*cking about with a camera.takin pics....i didnt think it was appropiate....im 23 so i hav plenty of time ..its not like im an old boy..just askin if it was worth it?..
will i need my nvq 2 for site work in the future???.....hadnt had tht trouble b4....but will it change.?

what ya reck fellas?

Re: nvq 2

i can do all aspects of plastering to a mint standard.
do i need it on paper to say tht i can do it???
like i sed ive got my nvq 1 but sacked the 2nd year off coz i thort college was bo**ox! ;D

go for it mate may aswell while its free, its always good to have quals ans stuff, i think its only two days a week for 9 months any way to get your level2

you can get your nvq2 on site while your working, google "osat" for the details. and yes, you'll need it to get a cscs card which you'll need for site work.

i plaster for myself only and not as a full time job... although i do enjoy it.... to be honest pal if you want my opinion i wouldn't do any qualifications but then again i wouldn't do site work only domestic thats where the money is if you market yourself correctly.... whatever you deside to do all the best pal ;D

If your a good spread and work on all different kinds of work why not miss the NVQ2 and go straight to level 3. I went to renew my CSCS card last year and was told that I would need an NVQ to get a long term card, so after 28 years in the trade I decided to get my first paper qualification. I went for the level 3 and when the assessors came to site for the first time I just showed them my work and portfolio and they said that no further visits would be necessary and after a while my certificate turned up. Piece of cake and gets you a CSCS gold card so why not go for it.

essex andy did you have to pay for level 3 as i have been told the government will only pay for a nvq 2.
king skim, i am 22 and was in same boat mate. but there's meant to be a new law comin in that everyone who is doing a job on site has to be qualified for their trade. suppose to be 2010. i have been taking pictures on site this week of some rendering and i looked a c-nt but it should be worth it in end.
i always think if i am goin for a job it can't hurt having the qualifications in it, plus theirs loads of people who are now starting to ask for nvq or city and guilds.

there is a link on this site that puts you in touch with the right people. best ask danny or 1 of the mods they should be able to point you in right direction mate.

No i didn't have to pay for it mac but I think that's because it was my first qualification! If any of you are taking pic's of your work to provide evidence for an NVQ I think you need to be in the pic doing the work or else you could be taking pic's of anyones work, least that's what the assessor told me.
I've also heard that we will all need to be qualified to work on site by next year but then I first heard that years ago but nothing happened. If all the k-rap spreads were got rid of who would do most of the work, and if they were gone those of us who do a good job would not stand out quite the same would we? Although if they are going to bring it in then what easier time for them to do it than in a recession!!!

Im on a housing scheme at the moment for countryside properties and they wo'nt let you on without a CSCS card. Did a school last month and two lads got thrown off for not having their cards, Bullcrap i know but thats the way its gonna be

pftmonojetman said:
Im on a housing scheme at the moment for countryside properties and they wo'nt let you on without a CSCS card. Did a school last month and two lads got thrown off for not having their cards, Bullcrap i know but thats the way its gonna be

likewise mate most sites iv been on recently want a cscs card and most wanted nvq, funny thing is though most of the spreads on here have bin doing it years and forgotten more than i know but come to site work i could end up getting the job over them, silly really.

so kingskim id say get as much paperwork/qualifications as you can cos they always come in handy

i thought to get the nvq 3 you had to have evidence of alot of fibourous work aswell? ive been thinking about different courses i can do to progress after spreading im only 26 so have plenty of time like was thinking either nvq 3 then i can go into teaching or HNC/HND in construction an see where that takes me

i have quite a bit of work on at the min mate , i only do domestic, theo only reason i would do quals it to learn more and for the sake of working with th ecouncil if i ever want to have a easy life. but i am also goin back to colleg to do my level 3 in sep i have 1 an 2 but while its free i do antthing thats free.

There are so many plasterers out there looking for work,and so many kids out there looking for someone to train with to get there NVQ's and none of them can get placements to acheive this.
Ive had 2 calls today alone from spreads offering there services and must of had 10 calls last week.
been gradually getting more and more calls each week over the last 5-6months.
Wish i had as many people calling for quotes as i have asking about work cus ID BE RICH!!!!

Get your NVQ if you can but it aint gonna mean you get any work from it as it aint worth the paper its written on mate to be honest with ya,the qualification in my opinion is worthless.

its free so do it you will need it if you wanna do site work did my cscs card b15 years ago and last 5 had to show it

If you do your level 3 in solid plastering then you don't need anything to do with fibourous plastering but you do need evidence of complex internal plastering and complex external render finishes and a few other things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.