Shoulder pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
My shoulder went TWANG the other day and my right arm has limited movement now.... absolute agony...

I put it down to 18inch trowels.... ffs

Danny

spot on there danny, when i used the big trowels in the past they caused me loads of aches and pains, especially tennis elbow

Last edited:
I have a 14 mt,a 16 premium and a 16 sf,I havnt had any bother with those sizes,i have never felt the need to go bigger so cant comment on 18s 20s etc,

spot on there danny, when i used the big trowels in the past they caused me loads of aches and pains, especially tennis elbow

I put on with 18 in blue handle supereflex. I do not get the little niggle pains in the elbow and wrist now. It's probably because the trowel is a lot lighter. Used to use standard 1 in.

I put on with 18 in blue handle supereflex. I do not get the little niggle pains in the elbow and wrist now. It's probably because the trowel is a lot lighter. Used to use standard 1 in.

I would imagine its more to do with your now troweling the wall earlier whilst gears a bit wetter as in not having to apply as much pressure than what your applying with mate:RpS_thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how spreads shoulders/elbows etc are after 20 years using s*p*r*lex, cos I know how the wear 20 years of marshalltown feels. Me and my bruv both have nerve damage in our shoulders. Wonder if I can sue on the grounds of work related.......

It will be interesting to see how spreads shoulders/elbows etc are after 20 years using s*p*r*lex, cos I know how the wear 20 years of marshalltown feels. Me and my bruv both have nerve damage in our shoulders. Wonder if I can sue on the grounds of work related.......

Does this nerve damage involve your arm going numb quite often. Like when your driving and waking you up half a dozen times a night?

My right shoulder is dodgy , can't sleep on it anymore, took ages to get to sleep on my left, my right shoulder is an inch or more lower than my right,it's not in the socket correctly,I thought it could be realigned but apparently not, I exercise it most nights,had physio many times but one time a nerve was hurt and it was brutal pain for a few days ,couldn't hardly lift my arm,

I've had accidents but they say this is the way my shoulder is and always was, funny I used to box with a mis aligned shoulder ,the problem been ,no power on my punches,but I can give a nasty push

Does this nerve damage involve your arm going numb quite often. Like when your driving and waking you up half a dozen times a night?

No just got to move my shoulder wrong and the pain is instant, sometimes it goes straight away other times it stays for weeks. Throwing anything overarm is out of the question.

i would imagine most of the aches and pains are due to floating, sand and cement work and screeding rather than setting,, i may be wrong

Agony witn it today and struggling through :-(

I only flatten in with 18..... laying on with 16/14 trowel up with 14 s*p*r*lex

In years gone by, life was so much less complicated. We used an 11" trowel for every job we did! Still managed to get cold shoulder, tennis elbow, tenosinovitus & carpel tunnel. I think at times it's about how much you do or have done and how your body is in the first place.
By the way did I tell you I am a part time Doctorand I only do plastering because I enjoy it.

.Only ever used 11inch but just recently started laying on with 16inch and find it a lot better but ime totally f ucked now it don't matter

I have my copper band on now so should be ok soon enough I hope....

I just have floor sanding to do now then we can start moving in....

I have my copper band on now so should be ok soon enough I hope....

I just have floor sanding to do now then we can start moving in....
Sanded a family members floor a couple of weeks ago with a big drum sander,ok on clean wood but on stained/varnished it seemed to clog the sand paper belts,get hot and burn almost,makes your cloths stink!

Cant wait.... I am sticking little blocks of parquet down at the moment... lol its like 80m2 of puzzle

Its right through the ground floor... and flows from one room to the next... i jave to say i am in love with it...

Attachments

• 1420109475058.jpg
    1420109475058.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 579

I have spells of that dan. Apparently its a trapped nerve in the elbow.

Last edited:
No just got to move my shoulder wrong and the pain is instant, sometimes it goes straight away other times it stays for weeks. Throwing anything overarm is out of the question.

Same here. Was doing a ceiling in 2008 and, like Danny, something went TWANG. Immediate agony. Got diagnosed as rotator cuff problem (by me to the doc, he says I was correct). Had constant pain for 4 yrs and in the end I demanded an MRI after Harley St surgeon said I had also got arthritis (all plasterers do - when he writes for the Lancet etc, he always uses plasterers in his control groups).
had the MRI, turns out I had also 2 tears in ligaments or tendons aswell. Suffered on with it cos I didn't want surgery and to be honest, other than it being a lot weaker, it's not too bad for the last year

well my copper band seems to help... also not doing anything today has helped...lol

God knows how old spreads can carry on....

Is there anyone on here plastering over 10 years that doesn't get shoulder pain.

Thats what the Harley St orthopaedic surgeon said. Before he examined me he asked my job. Told him been plastering for 30+ years. Without looking up he kept on writing and said "arthritis". I blurted out that he should at least examine me, he said I'm going to, don't worry. Before he moved my arm around he described when I would feel pain and when it would start clicking etc and he was 100% correct in his predictions. He does research on the subject and always gets a group of plasterers versus other workers. Invariably the plasterers would have arthritis although he said coursers wouldn't because they're like pretend plasterers labourers.
in fairness to him, he did say I should DEMAND an MRI cos there was something else wrong with my shoulder aswell

i would not like to say ,what that would cost ,to have done today ,nice one Dan !

I have been told by a few wood floor people that if we are skint they would pay us around £10k for the flooring alone... :)

It is lovely to be honest

Thats what the Harley St orthopaedic surgeon said. Before he examined me he asked my job. Told him been plastering for 30+ years. Without looking up he kept on writing and said "arthritis". I blurted out that he should at least examine me, he said I'm going to, don't worry. Before he moved my arm around he described when I would feel pain and when it would start clicking etc and he was 100% correct in his predictions. He does research on the subject and always gets a group of plasterers versus other workers. Invariably the plasterers would have arthritis although he said coursers wouldn't because they're like pretend plasterers labourers.
in fairness to him, he did say I should DEMAND an MRI cos there was something else wrong with my shoulder aswell
It's the bottle hand? Rsi from fridge to table

They always say you have a tear but then they say everyone has a tear ,it depends on the degree ,lots of time wasting,rarely solutions,"take up management " was a suggestion I got aged 35

Thats exactly what i have just now, went to the doc last week, he reckons its a pinched or trapped nerve. Was also making my heart pound really loud. Having pins and needles come down your arm and hearing your heart absolutely pounding after 6 days on the drink was a bit of a worry haha. its strange its in my left arm but im right handed

Status
Not open for further replies.