shellac, an alternative ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddove

Private Member
hi guys- after my shellac went missing from my workshop,:RpS_cursing: had a chat with the joinery lecturer regards an alternative,

Mylands H/B water based Lacquer gloss - this was brushed onto the (dry) reverse mould, this was allowed to dry then polished off with a dry pad of scrim, this was repeated twice more - polishing after the lacquer had dried ( same as shellac) the grease was then applied, as normal - and casts were taken . The reverse mould showed no sign of damage after 8 casts.:RpS_thumbsup:

The only down side of using this product, it dries clear, and the learners found it difficult to check whether, the firstings had completely covered the reverse mould prior to positioning of the scrim, overall I was impressed with this alternative-

I will check out the price compared to shellac - don't know if it would work on damp plaster

perhaps a dye added would solve the problem, of checking

what would you use instead of shellac then to fix your paper diagram to your zinc profile?
I used to smear shellac mixed with meths over the zinc, set fire to it, it then burnt the meths off, and left the shellac sticky for a while to stick your paper to it, it then set hard.

what would you use instead of shellac then to fix your paper diagram to your zinc profile?
I used to smear shellac mixed with meths over the zinc, set fire to it, it then burnt the meths off, and left the shellac sticky for a while to stick your paper to it, it then set hard.

NEAT PVA sticks your design to the zinc. i don't like to encourage learners to start fires! they already sniff / drink the shellac. i don't even tell them it contains meths. They also like to set fire to wire wool!!! one of my learners made a cheese grater out of some EML this week. JOY.
sid

we used this method when working in a fibrous factory - but when you training learners, health and safety is paramount, colleges get squeaky bums when you mention setting fire to anything :RpS_lol:

I pour shellac into small bowl , put away big container in locker, walk awAy to my bench, apply and fired it, so need to write down risk assessment. (Safety spectacles , fire extinguisher nearby and well ventilated ) Paint & decorator use heat gun, plumbers use blowtorch , heating engineers with gas boiler, etc as thru need to learn real world , but need to be aware of risk involved. College varies.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

hy Ryan I agree in a real world, but remember I don't teach in the normal teaching environment - :RpS_thumbup: its a land of make believe :RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.