Shadow gap

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

4400kevin

I am pricing a hospital the spec is 12 mm sand cement , 3 mm skim and a recessed skirting with stop bead . I take it to be a shadow gap above the skirting has anyone done this before ? I have with plasterboard but not sand cement.

oh dear yes we done that.
we had to put a shadow gap around the skirtings and the door frames. the whole hospital was then sprayed with a plasterpack finish. the day of the building was being taken over by the nhs they said that they could not accept a shadow gap as it is a DUST TRAP and that is the last thing that you want in a hospital. we then had to fill all the gaps in and the building had to be resprayed. this is a bad design fault.

I echo Malc's "oh dear". It sounds like they've not thought that through, unless of course it is in non clinical areas of the hospital!

If they are insistent, and you cannot use a shadow gap bead such as ours, then what we have seen done before is to use a stop bead that terminates the wall coating above the line of the skirting or floor with a strip of PVCu endcap from a trunking system placed in the 'shadow' to create the internal seal.

Something to add that will hopefully help win the contract when pricing: A lot of publicly funded jobs like this also look for, price, timing, support and sustainability credentials now ... though they may not tell you all of that up front. Any materials you use, try to see if you can evidence BBA certification, an ecopoint score and use of recycled and recyclable components. Any supplier you use will know what these are and be more than willing to let you have copies of certificates.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Richard

ps. I've put an image of our shadow gap profiles below, just in case you can use something like this:
renderplas shadow gap beads.jpg

Those beads you've shown Renderplas are for plasterboard and would be of no use whatsoever with S&C would they?
Almost like a plug for your company without any useful input to the thread.

Those beads you've shown Renderplas are for plasterboard and would be of no use whatsoever with S&C would they?

Hi essexandy, that's right - they were attached as a 'just in case' as I mentioned, I didn't want to make the assumption that the render was being put straight onto a solid substrate. Believe me, we see some very odd specifications and get asked by architects, contractors and diy'ers to come up with solutions and interpret all sorts of diagrams and visions! My purpose here is to share and if possible cover all the bases.

Almost like a plug for your company without any useful input to the thread.

If I can offer any support I will, and if as a company we do something that will save time and money, or offer a good solution I think it only right that I mention it.

My primary input is as in my original post: "to use a stop bead that terminates the wall coating above the line of the skirting or floor with a strip of PVCu endcap from a trunking system placed in the 'shadow' to create the internal seal" - it's a useful technique when creating clean wide radius curved shadow gaps as well.

And as 4400kevin mentioned that he is pricing the job at this stage, I have added some additional information that I am being told on a daily basis by people that price for publicly funded works is actually making a difference and contributing to their wining new contracts ahead of those that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.