Secure job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, looking for some advice. How secure is it workin for a firm that only takes on self employ tradesmen ?

honest answer is that nothing is secure in the c0nstruction industry never has been and goes without saying certainly not last few yrs...

your employment is only secure whilst your services are requires...could be 12 days, 12 week, 12 months or 12 yrs...

would guess that 90& construction are self employed certainly so with plastering

lots of firms only take on self employed, i know lots of self employed lads who have worked for the same firm for donkeys years, (not sure how legal this is now) its all about them having work and how good the spread is,, firms wont let good lads go all the time they have work them,, like said already no such thing as a secure job these days, not even on the cards

recessions sort the trade out... There are plenty of plasterers who were busy all the way through...
Mmmmm,lots of good men were quiet too, lots of tradesmen took alternative employment ,people sought cheap tradesmen rather than the cream,I took 3 months off to walk my dog as rates dropped very low,London was inundated with cheap foreigners and northeners.
When there is no building work,building workers will be unemployed....
It also depends on where you are in the chain
Some would of been on £1k a week day work ,£2/3k on price pre down turn
Would of been turning down 50/ percent of work and more as demand outstripped supply,
Those lower in the chain on £400 a week etc could continue ,those on cash could continue and those signing and working could.
But the man who got min of £1k a week was not wanted unless he matched the lower tier,

Last edited:
Mmmmm,lots of good men were quiet too, lots of tradesmen took alternative employment ,people sought cheap tradesmen rather than the cream,I took 3 months off to walk my dog as rates dropped very low,London was inundated with cheap foreigners and northeners.
What do ur think has sorted it out now or is it still kind of the same, but just busy

Not saying it wasnt bad but a recession is there to reset the economy :)

I think we will be deep in recession in the next 4/5 years....

but you need to work your own personal finances around that....

When I first started out I was told by the 2 chaps I worked for was that it may be good today flash but tomorrow it can be s**t... save what you can to look after yourself for the bad times....

That money I stashed away helped me when I was very ill and saw me through the recession....

Not saying it wasnt bad but a recession is there to reset the economy :)
Never so simple, lots of factors ,lots of cogs,this country was insulated very shortly after the downturn,the money from Europe ,Asia,America,China etc came here,it was invested,causing the property ripples and the boom in the buildings,house prices in London have gone up more in two years than most of the other cities are worth, eg house in 2012 £425. Now £650k and that's just working class stock,we are pawns and the big players make money gambling on the economies of the world. This country has survived the recession but at what price, who owns what...

Would of been turning down 50/ percent of work and more as demand outstripped supply,
Those lower in the chain on £400 a week etc could continue ,those on cash could continue and those signing and working could.
But the man who got min of £1k a week was not wanted unless he matched the lower tier,

Nice to see some sense being spoken. I hate hearing "good tradesmen will never be out of work" it's simply not true. I've never spents weeks/months at home but i've know blokes who have and were/are great tradesmen.

Then again i've never had enough in the bank to be in a position of being off at length. Always had to sort work in quiet spells but could also argue i got the work cus people knew we were good.

I've confused myself now. I'm either s**t and cheap or decent and work for too little.

Never so simple, lots of factors ,lots of cogs,this country was insulated very shortly after the downturn,the money from Europe ,Asia,America,China etc came here,it was invested,causing the property ripples and the boom in the buildings,house prices in London have gone up more in two years than most of the other cities are worth, eg house in 2012 £425. Now £650k and that's just working class stock,we are pawns and the big players make money gambling on the economies of the world. This country has survived the recession but at what price, who owns what...

very true

How long do ur think it will last though ? Is it just the next time the govement mess it up agen ?
It's not the government ,it's the people, selfish people from unemployed to the multi millionaire,like spoilt children we have to be sated, look at things now when the elections are coming up,they are been ultra cautious.

I know some awesome tradesmen that were out of work, but they were not people people... so did not market or promote themselves and would not adapt... kept doing what they always did etc etc
Of course ,but in places like London where there was a glut of cheaper people available, it's not like been the only plasterer in the village, banks weren't lending,debts weren't been repaid,when everything is on black but the wheel isn't spinning options are hard to find,, I dropped rates to£750 a week but people wanted cheaper.some were on £80 a day .my wheels couldn't be oiled for that

always gonna be recessions and always gonna be booms, just away of life,,, in the past life was better for most people after the recession than it was before the recession,,, with past recessions there was not the number of eastern Europeans we have now so those who could not get work in the construction trade could still get other well ish paid jobs ,, unfortunately not this recession though

if you want to build a business that is recession proof. self employed, with a large customer base, so that you are in charge of the finance.
do not touch site work or sub contract off an other plastering firm.
one firm that was building new homes local. david wilson homes shut up over night, told all sub contractors that no cheques would be sent out for 4 months, when they did release the cheques they where post dated another 3 months in advance. then they wonder why they can not find craftsmen!

Guess there were no Irish then or Scots ? Northerners its a magnet for all not just northerners fact !

Of course ,but in places like London where there was a glut of cheaper people available, it's not like been the only plasterer in the village, banks weren't lending,debts weren't been repaid,when everything is on black but the wheel isn't spinning options are hard to find,, I dropped rates to£750 a week but people wanted cheaper.some were on £80 a day .my wheels couldn't be oiled for that

How much john ------ that would feed us northerners for months:inocente::lol:

if you want to build a business that is recession proof. self employed, with a large customer base, so that you are in charge of the finance.
do not touch site work or sub contract off an other plastering firm.
one firm that was building new homes local. david wilson homes shut up over night, told all sub contractors that no cheques would be sent out for 4 months, when they did release the cheques they where post dated another 3 months in advance. then they wonder why they can not find craftsmen!
So do ye think working for a firm as sub contractor is a bad idea? And not reliable work ?

Always best with your own work to be honest if you can get it . Then its your job and you dont have some arse of a builder etc tellin u his way of doing it or genrally getting in the way lol do a bit subby here and there though also if it comes around ..... Also i think this is in the rendering section if am right u even have the weather to think about for how many work days you can get in

Status
Not open for further replies.