Second opinions

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all working on a new build house for another spread I know. now heres the issue most of the exterior walls are breeze block and to be hardwall'd no problems, supporting walls are concrete block which are to be bonding!!! slight issues her as now pva would be needed, normally I would hardwall aswell. also all plastic wall cavity covers on reveals have been plasterboarded but stuck with expanding foam which has pushed them out of square and all need pulled off. These to I would normally just hardwall but now hes suggested bonding advice PLEASE im kinda set in my ways but if somthings easier im up for it but all this seems like extra work for the same money?

Why would you need pva ?? just plaster the walls, bonding or hardwall both gets mixed up with water, both get pushed up a wall if you can use hardwall you can use bonding lol

well talk to the spread about it and see if there is any more money in the pot , other then that we just have to suck it up and take the pain.

Don't worry about it mate,if the closers need pulling out then do it.use bonding on the concretes,no worries.theres many more things you could be worried about.its work,just do it.

well talk to the spread about it and see if there is any more money in the pot , other then that we just have to suck it up and take the pain.

its day work so im not really fussed but the days are a bit longer could be going home nice and early otherwise

What seems odd?
The only thing I think is odd here is that a spread is going to let someone who doesn't know the materials sub off him.

do u do much site work mate I never put bonding on concrete blocks and I never seen it done if you aint got any sensable imput go read another thread

do u do much site work mate I never put bonding on concrete blocks and I never seen it done if you aint got any sensable imput go read another thread

Yes I've spent the last thirty years doing site work thanks.
If you don't know that Bonding is actually made for just the purpose of going over concrete blocks (with Bondit on smooth concrete blocks), then you don't know your materials and I'd suggest you get off the forum and spend some time reading through the BG website.
If someone was due to sub a job off me and they weren't au fait with the materials to be used then I'd send them on their way and get someone in who did know what they were doing (and have).

hardwall is for high suction, as in ya breeze blocks and the likes and bonding is for low suction as in concrete and ya plastic cavity closers, also pva is not needed just give the walls a drink 10 mins or so before hitting, andys right mate learn ya materials, now you cnt say that is not helpful ive just given you the info you want

Yes andy is a site man,whereas us domestic spreads are like lepers who haven't got a clue."the bells,the bells"!!:)

Yes andy is a site man,whereas us domestic spreads are like lepers who haven't got a clue."the bells,the bells"!!:)

To be fair mate I've worked on all sorts.
In the last year I've worked on new builds, both large one offs and modest singles, schools, public toilets, re-skims and external renders but no proper site work. I don't think anything less of those that class themselves as domestic spreads but do wonder why they restrict themselves so much to one line of work.

at times some builders dont have a fecking clue at all about our job . Never had these problems with Sand cement but then
I live in a time bubble when the past always seem better.

I think breeze blocks are coal ashes and cement, don't quote me on that though. Some have glass and stuff in em too.

I have always called breeze blocks ash blocks, from the fly ash at power stations. perhaps it a local thing.

To be fair mate I've worked on all sorts.
In the last year I've worked on new builds, both large one offs and modest singles, schools, public toilets, re-skims and external renders but no proper site work. I don't think anything less of those that class themselves as domestic spreads but do wonder why they restrict themselves so much to one line of work.
I was just fishing for a bite mate but thats a very good reply.very true,I'm from a general building background so I do any work that I'm asked to quote for and win.from chippying to decorating to large hard landscaping work patios etc.i enjoy the variety of work and like yourself and many others on here I work with an open mind and never stop learning.as other have said to me"youre only as good as your last job" and "don't listen to someone telling you how good they are,have a look at their work and judge for yourself"tip my hat to ya andy,but I would have hardwa
led also.

i have NOT seen breeze blocks used for over 40 years. i guess these are leaca large blocks. breeze blocks are made from clinker,which was coke before it was burned in our power stations. leaca large is a lightweight man made bean, invented to keep the weight down on high rise buildings. there is also a block leaca fine a more compressed version

but I would have hardwalled also.

So would I mate if I was choosing the materials and the blocks weren't smooth. But if a certain material has been specified and is suitable there would have to be a good reason for me to suggest a change.

So would I mate if I was choosing the materials and the blocks weren't smooth. But if a certain material has been specified and is suitable there would have to be a good reason for me to suggest a change.

even the contractor gets it wrong Andy, we were once asked to dab toilets then eml over the top and sand cement lol

i have NOT seen breeze blocks used for over 40 years. i guess these are leaca large blocks. breeze blocks are made from clinker,which was coke before it was burned in our power stations. leaca large is a lightweight man made bean, invented to keep the weight down on high rise buildings. there is also a block leaca fine a more compressed version
Quite correct malc and i dont think ive ever seen that type of block in any other country ive worked in.

Cause bonding is designed for low suction backgrounds i.e concrete blocks, hardwall is designed for high suction backgrounds like lightweight blocks etc, if you have used hardwall on concrete blocks before and it has worked then lucky you and prehaps 8 out 10 jobs you may get away with it, but when it falls off and you try to complain think you may find bg throwing the whitebook back at you. I suggest some of you do some homework and try reading bg/knauf/tarmac lit and educate yourselves in the materials you use!! people who don't know their stuff give us knowledgeable spreads a bad name

Cause bonding is designed for low suction backgrounds i.e concrete blocks, hardwall is designed for high suction backgrounds like lightweight blocks etc, if you have used hardwall on concrete blocks before and it has worked then lucky you and prehaps 8 out 10 jobs you may get away with it, but when it falls off and you try to complain think you may find bg throwing the whitebook back at you. I suggest some of you do some homework and try reading bg/knauf/tarmac lit and educate yourselves in the materials you use!! people who don't know their stuff give us knowledgeable spreads a bad name

As Spunky suggests I'm pretty sure you're just on the wind up but just in case.
If you spent some time on the BG site you'd see that Hardwall is perfectly OK on dense (concrete) blocks as long as they're not smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.