Scrimming over Crack

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonegalDasher

I have a painted ceiling to ReSkim as it is cracked and it is Clearly cracked at the Board joints.I will be Unibonding it and applying two Coats of finish. Should i tape the cracks before PVA'ing or not bother taping the joints.My worry is the diluted pva will stop the Scrim cloth from Sticking. But if I dont scrim the joints' it may possibly crack again in the same place.or would i be better 1st coating with half and half Bonding/finish..? Any thoughts greatly received. Thanks.

I would use paper tape over the joint after pva ing
ordinary finish is fine, cracks from timber moving I expect is it new build or old?

Tape the cracks then pva, no need for bonding. Push the ceiling up at the cracks and see if there is movement. Might be worthwhile rescrewing the boards and adding a handful of fibres to first coat. Depends how many cracks there are.

Some drywalls into the board and hopefully joists above where it's cracked, scrape them out if needs, scrim, then Pva.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Ever heard 'You couldn't punch your way out of a paper bag' ?

We're not talking about paper bags Rigsby it's paper tape and it's stronger than scrim ,try pull paper tape apart,then try pull scrim apart ,scrim fails all the time ,that's why it says patching tape on most of the bags it comes in ,and paper tape is called joint tape

if there is enough movement they will both fail. But i do agree paper tape is better in certain situations

i would first see how solid it as along cracks then possibly fire some screws in to strengthen. then tape and plasprime. i dont like painted ceilings and pva personally. skim next day

I agree the paper tape is the better. BG once told me if you use their drywall paper tape with jointing cement (air drying) and after initial drying then skim it will take some cracking. I had one of those annoying cracks what opened up on cold mornings and shut up when the heating came on. The the above in 1984 and never cracked since.

I saw a program as a kid back in the 60's and it was a boxer put in a paper bag and he had to punch his way out of it in 1 minute. He failed and was knackered.

if there is enough movement they will both fail. But i do agree paper tape is better in certain situations

Yes jessop they will but it would take some serious movement or shift for paper tape to fail unlike scrim ,I'm merely pointing out the pros of paper tape as a better alternative ,I know it's a pain in the hole buttering up joints to take the tape but it's all about the prep,and the bottom line if you don't want cracks on joints use paper tape .

Yes jessop they will but it would take some serious movement or shift for paper tape to fail unlike scrim ,I'm merely pointing out the pros of paper tape as a better alternative ,I know it's a pain in the hole buttering up joints to take the tape but it's all about the prep,and the bottom line if you don't want cracks on joints use paper tape .

Have you had chance to look for the wet n stick tape?

No I didn't James pal but I'd say it's a winner,save a lot of messing about filling joints

I agree the paper tape is the better. BG once told me if you use their drywall paper tape with jointing cement (air drying) and after initial drying then skim it will take some cracking. I had one of those annoying cracks what opened up on cold mornings and shut up when the heating came on. The the above in 1984 and never cracked since.

I saw a program as a kid back in the 60's and it was a boxer put in a paper bag and he had to punch his way out of it in 1 minute. He failed and was knackered.

Didn't see that Rigsby ,but it is interesting how strong paper can be ,watched a documentary on Chinese armour and they used to fold paper and make body armour that could hold back arrow strikes

For a rolls Royce job , rake out cracks with Stanley knife in a V shape, put hessian plaster rope wad in and flush fill ,
Then scrim , then skim
It might seem OTT but it sure isn't going to crack again , we have done loads of them never a callback

some times a like 2 use the old jute skrim for the ceiling angle.its a bit more broad.if am just doing the ceiling.

Thanks for the reply lads, I have been out of the game for a while and wasnt aware of the paper tape.Must check if I can get hold of some as doing it sat morn. There is mouldings around the angles so will just be plastering up to them.Some sound advice and thanks to all.:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.