scrim or no scrim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsm1982

hi all just a quicky do you scrim over all your screw holes or just the ones on the edge of the boards ??? ??? ???

all mate, unless you are on a building site because you dont get paid for it so just do the joints. private work, skrim everything!!!! its your rep

i scrim them all anyway just the builder asks why i just say i do to stop the heads popping off when the kids are jumping on the floor upstairs he now knows why

i always scrim all screw holes, for sake of ten mins and a quids worth of scrim, i've seen a few jobs where the screw heads have popped thru the ceiling, usually on loft conversions on the ceiling.

oo-err mrs. thought this was a plastering site, and heres someone telling us all to concentrate on our screwing

the screws themselves dont pop out but i seen the plaster blow in perfect little circles where screws are. its not happened to me but i seen it when ive looked at jobs where other spread has been before me.

big ali said:
the screws themselves dont pop out but i seen the plaster blow in perfect little circles where screws are. its not happened to me but i seen it when ive looked at jobs where other spread has been before me.
Its from puttin the gear on too thin aint it?

could well be, but if its only acouple of mm thick anyway any movement in ceiling joist etc (due to fat kids jumping around) would surely show up at the weakest point.

people do things differently ,it would be a boring place if we were all the same. doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong.

WHen we are talking about screws or nails popping it is caused by the fact that the boards are not solid to the joists. In other words when vibration happens above from kids running round or when the ceiling is being painted the board moves but the nails or screws don't. No need to scrim and even if you do and the boards aint fixed right they will still pop. If your asked to sort nail pops out push up the boards to the joists and tighten screws or give the nails a smack or two.

The Apprentice said:
WHen we are talking about screws or nails popping it is caused by the fact that the boards are not solid to the joists. In other words when vibration happens above from kids running round or when the ceiling is being painted the board moves but the nails or screws don't. No need to scrim and even if you do and the boards aint fixed right they will still pop. If your asked to sort nail pops out push up the boards to the joists and tighten screws or give the nails a smack or two.

Spot on.

why the f**k would u scrim the screw holes?

it would take bout a roll every 5 boards!!

if its for a builder and they did the boards then f**k it, its there problem, they were too lazy to push the boards up hard enough.

if its private over old stuff, u should already be able to see em, just push the board hard, see where it is, then give it a whack or screw it in a bit more

scrim wont stop a board moving u dohnuts!!

nsm1982 said:
hi all just a quicky do you scrim over all your screw holes or just the ones on the edge of the boards ??? ??? ???
no way if a scew pops not my prob if i tacked it and i new i had a couple of misses then yeah

Why does the plaster come away from screws sometimes. Not talkin about missin a stud and takin the screw out altogether i mean when a screws in and the plaster comes off but the screws not popped the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.