Screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KRISW1888

Got a ceiling to sheet tomorrow, ******* nightmare ceiling. Was told by a customer they had an artex ceiling and supposedly it was 100% artex. Got to the job gave it a check over and it just didnt seem right. So I rolled some Pva over a small area and gave it 15 mins to see if it bubbled. And sure as **** it bubbled lol. Its an old plasterboarded ceiling thats had a really bad coat if multi with paper on top then its been artexed over. I knocked up through and marked out joists etc.. I plan on overboarding straight over the old ceiling with 9.5. Im defo no ripping it down as I think the joists etc are gd enough to screw into. What would be the best sized screws to use here? I was thinkin 60mm I dnt want to use nails. Cheers.

Depends on how thick the ceiling is.
We're using 50mm screws at the min to board onto lathe and plaster ceilings - found 65mm screws overkill and drained our battery drills.

We use 50mm screws krisw1888. We normally use tile batten over the joists & 9mm board for lighter & easier fixing over the sh1tty old ceiling. Can then cheat it a bit if its got bellys anywhere, especially around the window facing.
These are mainly tenement ceilings, lath with maybe some gyproc where the council plated in in the past, then artexted.

**chopping down a top deck Glasgow tenement ceiling is the worst fkn job in the world ever**:RpS_thumbdn:

We use 50mm screws krisw1888. We normally use tile batten over the joists & 9mm board for lighter & easier fixing over the sh1tty old ceiling. Can then cheat it a bit if its got bellys anywhere, especially around the window facing.
These are mainly tenement ceilings, lath with maybe some gyproc where the council plated in in the past, then artexted.

**chopping down a top deck Glasgow tenement ceiling is the worst fkn job in the world ever**:RpS_thumbdn:

Aye the ceilins in decent condition as in flatness. No major bumps or sags. Just a pain in the **** to rip down or even strip back and skim. A would feel better boardin over and then skimmin.

Haha rather you than me perlite

We can't use 1/2" boards as the callings we're doing are all corniced so using 3/8" to retain an edge.
Luckily the ceilings are quite flat with no bumps to speak of.

We can't use 1/2" boards as the callings we're doing are all corniced so using 3/8" to retain an edge.

If that's the case then obviously use 3/8 but whenever possible I use 12.5s. My old gaffa used 3/8 all the time and i used to cringe when we came across 600mm centres

Got a ceiling to sheet tomorrow, ******* nightmare ceiling. Was told by a customer they had an artex ceiling and supposedly it was 100% artex. Got to the job gave it a check over and it just didnt seem right. So I rolled some Pva over a small area and gave it 15 mins to see if it bubbled. And sure as **** it bubbled lol. Its an old plasterboarded ceiling thats had a really bad coat if multi with paper on top then its been artexed over. I knocked up through and marked out joists etc.. I plan on overboarding straight over the old ceiling with 9.5. Im defo no ripping it down as I think the joists etc are gd enough to screw into. What would be the best sized screws to use here? I was thinkin 60mm I dnt want to use nails. Cheers.

foook me is this for real????

is this what we loose work to its as straight forward as it gets in plastering!!!!

You need 25mm of penetration into the joist, so work out your overall thickness and add on 25mm, I should also use 12.5mm boards on ceilings and 15mm if joists are more than 400mm centres, same rules apply whether its overboard or not.

If that's the case then obviously use 3/8 but whenever possible I use 12.5s. My old gaffa used 3/8 all the time and i used to cringe when we came across 600mm centres

I agree, luckily these are about a hammers length apart and quite substantial.

Use 12.5 .... Edging beads around edge a half inch off the cornice when boarding let the boards hang past hard up to cornice ... String line then cut in a nice straight line , fit beads on with boards up on ceiling leaving edge screws out . Makes an extra feature on the cornice rather than losing it imo if that helps ? More time consuming but nicer job .

Last edited:
Depends on how thick the ceiling is.
We're using 50mm screws at the min to board onto lathe and plaster ceilings - found 65mm screws overkill and drained our battery drills.
2 different posts & 2 different ceilings . Are your ceilings artexed Rhys?

Overboarding the max overhang of boards would be 300mm, in which case screw into the lathes, which should be plenty strong enough to carry the 2kg of board overhang :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.