Screed nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
would like to learn how to do paneld work though looks good im not from essex so was never taught it

That Monocouche house looks a nice tidy job Grand but that muck bin has been left a bit dirty, was it a Friday :D
As for the panelled work us Essex boys aren't good for much so we have to keep something secret otherwise we'd be completely dispensable. ::)

And just imagine how long it would take to fix them, actually I don't need to imagine as I remember doing a job years ago using stop beads to form raised bands, mind you they were stainless beads and there were absolutely loads of bands on that house, took what felt like an age but still look fine. Dread to think how bad it would look with all those beads rusted.
Have also seen some clowns use stop beads as the top edge of a plinth, by the way I have just priced a job where I will need to do the plinths, haven't done them for years hoping to get that job, I like doing different things it helps keep you fresh doesn't it

I was lucky enough to have been shown the free hand method , strangely i look at using stop beads as kind of cheating i don't know why , what do you think Andy ?, anyway last one i did the guy wanted a triple pipe detail he had seen on a house about 20 mile from me ..... ::) so off i went to find this house ,when i found it i then had to get my mate to make me a tool up using three pipe bending formers ( mitred ), it looked really good once down but i never even got a thank you or a drink :'(

must admit the most amaizing plasterer i have worked with was from essex .met him in the states his name was gary saville and his company called european plastering in new york area dont know if he has a web page showing his work but, he used to do what he called padgetting i called it sculpting,one of his jobs he showed me was a herd of wild horses on the stampede on a gable end on a race horse stables.the lead horses nose was about 2 feet of the wall all coloured and unbelievable.he did trees that you would swear were trees and he done quick the guy was unbelievable

essexandy said:
Chris W said:
you'd think someone would have invented 'screed pants' by now...
like chainsaw pants but with built in waterproof, SEWN in pads... long uns, i think the dickies trousers i got with the kneepad slot dont work.. the pad always end up in the wrong place..
I bought some made especially for floor trades a while ago, they have replaceable pads (which stay in place) and on the front of the knees they have a waterproof material which i think they said was Kevlar covered so it won't wear out. These are quite comfortable if a little heavy but were expensive at about fifty quid, although I've done quite a few screeds wearing them and there is no sign of wear as yet. I think they are made by a company called Snickers Work Wear, I bought them from Baddow Road Supplies in yes Baddow Road, Chelmsford their number is 01245 251084 if your interested.
i dont really do enough these days to warrant it i reckon.. that said, are they comfortable enough to wear as your normal work trousers? as you say theyll be for all floor trades not just screeding..
snickers are a big name brand bit like dickies.. not cheap but the stuff is pretty much indestructable... i had a bomber jacket few years ago and it took all the little grabs by the pudlocks without tearing, you could slide down some rough old brickwork after a night on the piss and it didnt mark it... good stuff.. lot of the builders merchants used to sell em but went onto portwest or dickies cos they were cheaper..
suppose i should have thought about it before i made my post but cheers for the heads up man... theyll be handy for the bloke who screeds every other day.. and the floor tiler, labourer and spunkybum ;)

poor spunky lol ..... he got married today (although he told me it was last weekend) anyway bless him for what he is about to receive .

I'm the same as you Church doing all the panelled work free hand, yeah stop beads do sound like cheating and as mentioned earlier very time consuming. I also made some double and treble tools but no one ever wants it, shame really. Did you ever use the original type of tool for the job? Basically a piece of hard wood (batten shape) about 10 inches long with a concave shape cut into the end and slightly around the sides. They were horrible to use, no mitre on them (all had to done with a small tool) and used to pull on muck something terrible. The tool my dad had was about 40 years old and that was 30 years ago, he still has it somewhere(probably uses it to level up his old wooden spot stand. :D

I think you would probably find those trousers a bit heavy for everyday work Chris W but would definitely save the knees, when rendering on a scaffold i wear knee pads all day so perhaps I should give them a go and then give a better evaluation.

grand wizard said:
parex is nice stuff paul
Just completing an insulated system using their gear , that 'Mate' (ahdesive) is cock on and you can get it in the same colours as the acrylics so no grin through and you can also finish the stuff or use as a dash receiver, very versatile gear

essexandy said:
I'm the same as you Church doing all the panelled work free hand, yeah stop beads do sound like cheating and as mentioned earlier very time consuming. I also made some double and treble tools but no one ever wants it, shame really. Did you ever use the original type of tool for the job? Basically a piece of hard wood (batten shape) about 10 inches long with a concave shape cut into the end and slightly around the sides. They were horrible to use, no mitre on them (all had to done with a small tool) and used to pull on muck something terrible. The tool my dad had was about 40 years old and that was 30 years ago, he still has it somewhere(probably uses it to level up his old wooden spot stand. :D

I think you would probably find those trousers a bit heavy for everyday work Chris W but would definitely save the knees, when rendering on a scaffold i wear knee pads all day so perhaps I should give them a go and then give a better evaluation.

I have got one some where but ive never used it ,just got a few metal ones they seem to work ok but i dont do much panel work anymore last one i did was a while back now mate

Did a Sue Ryder home quite a few years ago in Itchin or somat like that near luton any way all string bands an plinths, windows framed up etc all different coloured sands for the different effects and panels looked really good , hard work though cos it was a listed stately home type place,an every thing had to be bang on , i miss that type of work cos it really gets the old cogs turning, instead of just slapping it on , if i can find the pics i'll post some

got a job at end of year using their insulated system for me mates plastering firm comes to 1.3 million

Status
Not open for further replies.