Savolit Wood Wall Boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyM

Private Member
Have any of you had any experience with this wall lining system, or had any issues with it?
An architect client of mine used this system on a project. The boards were fixed to the internal framework in a timber framed house, 50 mm boards on the inside of the external walls and 15 mm (I think) on the partitions, then rendered & skimmed. Nearly every joint, both vertical and horizontal now has a depression at it. (see photos) There is also serious cracking in the corners, which I might add have not been scrimmed. I have been asked to carry out the remedial works. I put a straight edge across the walls, and in some places, the gap at the joints is 6-10 mm. I've filled out one wall today with Easifill & joint cement
To me, it seems that the boards have been fixed too tightly at their perimeters, causing compression there, and bellying out in the middle, but I would have thought that when rendered, the plasterer would've staffed off to make it flat & level.
The architects have specified this system previously and had no issues with it.
Anybody?

There we are then. No mesh!
You'd think , if you didn't know, you would of asked for a spec, can't just bang onto new stuff without enquiring , the architect should of specced it and hired the right men to do it and not just the right man to fix it

You'd think , if you didn't know, you would of asked for a spec, can't just bang onto new stuff without enquiring , the architect should of specced it and hired the right men to do it and not just the right man to fix it

I usually dryline all their jobs, but for some reason, they went with this system and picked a plasterer out of the phone book.

I usually dryline all their jobs, but for some reason, they went with this system and picked a plasterer out of the phone book.

What's the advantage of this system over board and skim Tony? I'm guessing its neither cheaper or quicker...

What's the advantage of this system over board and skim Tony? I'm guessing its neither cheaper or quicker...

It's for the acoustic values.
I've installed these boards on school ceilings, but they were left natural, not plastered. They absorb sound.
I had no problem cutting them with a new saw.

I was wondering if it was a case of the architect dabbling with other methods for the sake of it. I watched this 100k house program and the architect hated plasterboard for no apparent reason. He made one guy have a wall of old crappy aluminium bits and the next week talked this lady into having her whole house done in unfinished osb board! Looked bloody awful.

I was wondering if it was a case of the architect dabbling with other methods for the sake of it. I watched this 100k house program and the architect hated plasterboard for no apparent reason. He made one guy have a wall of old crappy aluminium bits and the next week talked this lady into having her whole house done in unfinished osb board! Looked bloody awful.
I saw that episode with the aluminium walls. The architect was a proper ****

@TonyM was there too much insulation behind them boards maybe?
They're usually quite rigid like :RpS_unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
@TonyM was there too much insulation behind them boards maybe?
They're usually quite rigid like :RpS_unsure:
Funny you should say that. On several of the jobs I've done for this lot, I've had to get them to remove excess insulation because true plasterboard won't go back flat against the studs.

Could be that then, especially if it's behind the 15mm boards :RpS_unsure:
Can't see the benefit of using them to carry a gypsum plaster though, I've only ever went over them in lime.

I believe you are supposed to leave a gap between these boards.
As the timber studs dry they shrink in length, this in turn concertinas the rigid boards.

I've gone over these with hemp lime putty. Mesh pushed into the first coat with a V notched trowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.