Sand, cement, lime internal

• Thread starter Deleted member 32554
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 32554

Hi, new here, intend to float 1 coat of sharp sand , op cement , hydrated lime ( 5 : 1 : 0.5 ) onto medium density blocks , leaving for 2 weeks then pva ( 2 coats ) and skim with multifinish. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. ( it's for an old farmer and he doesn't want dot and dab or hardwall ) cheers havagojo

What's with all the lime in mixes over there? Never added lime to a mix of ordinary mortar. Been on jobs where lime mortar was used, and another with white cement and sand with lime already in it(worst stuff I have ever seen, nightmare to rub) but in general never need to add lime? Just sand cement and plasticiser, waterproofer in scratch coats. Unibond in scud. No lime though

U want plastering sand, not just straight sharp mate. 50/50 can also be used but don't rub up as nice imo.

I would definitely pva. Few years back, multi shelled from s&c and everyone was told to use board finish. Play safe, pva.

The shelling was probably due to skimming too soon

Use a waterproofed in the mix to control suction when skimming. Devil float well to give plenty of key. Leave 5 days minimum before skimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shelling was probably due to skimming too soon

Use a waterproofed in the mix to cosrol suction when skimming. Devil float well to give plenty of key. Leave 5 days minimum before skimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks to you and everyone for posting. 95℅ of my work is overskimming , pva and multi , hence my approach . I was aiming for a consistent suction and don't mind having to pva . the scl is being ruled off as I go with frames as guides . ( I might be a bit mad but want as flat as possible ) , I thought it wasn't good practice to put skim on untill at least a week although my dad use to go a day later. Thanks

Many thanks to you and everyone for posting. 95℅ of my work is overskimming , pva and multi , hence my approach . I was aiming for a consistent suction and don't mind having to pva . the scl is being ruled off as I go with frames as guides . ( I might be a bit mad but want as flat as possible ) , I thought it wasn't good practice to put skim on untill at least a week although my dad use to go a day later. Thanks
I would have thought different blocks would have specific render mixes ,will perhaps ring and pester some block manufacturers,

What's with all the lime in mixes over there? Never added lime to a mix of ordinary mortar. Been on jobs where lime mortar was used, and another with white cement and sand with lime already in it(worst stuff I have ever seen, nightmare to rub) but in general never need to add lime? Just sand cement and plasticiser, waterproofer in scratch coats. Unibond in scud. No lime though

Lime gets used alot here in the west aswell. If one naps they use lime and ive worked with plasterers here who throw a half shovel into a mix even when they just rub up with sponge.

Lime gets used alot here in the west aswell. If one naps they use lime and ive worked with plasterers here who throw a half shovel into a mix even when they just rub up with sponge.
Not worked with Anyone that does it bar that one Job it was in the spec. To have lime sand or cement or both, and the stiff was pure shite. Lol

Not worked with Anyone that does it bar that one Job it was in the spec. To have lime sand or cement or both, and the stiff was pure shite. Lol

Tbh, i dont use it that often in my mixes either thou when im with others when they use it, it gives abit more fat for napping. Dont think anyone up north does napping but it seems to be the norm down here. Get the mix wrong and itll look shite. Seen a few jobs where the polish tried to nap with just sand and cement and it looked f**k**g awful!

Still don't get it bud, we sponge after rubbing up, Im guessing that isn't what you mean though?
Tried to get a picture up,not great with technology.Basicly when the finish coat firms up and floated,a small splash of water and then rubbed with a sponge float finishing with a gentle tap as you go along.Like a fine stipple finish.My late father used to use a wooden float years ago.

Still don't get it bud, we sponge after rubbing up, Im guessing that isn't what you mean though?

Instead of rubbing up with a sponge to get a nice flat finish, you get the sponge float, throw little bit of water on, lightly rub up and lightly pull the fat so you get a stipple finish like nicm mentions. Its sort of like exterior artex. If done correctly, its nice. If not done right, it looks awful. You have to get the stipple consistent throughout the wall. I prefer rubbing up with sponge compared to it tbh.

Absolutely never heard of it. Lol don't think I've even seen it any where

If you look at the houses down south, you'll see it everywhere. Esp here in the west of the country. I'd never heard orvseen it either until I moved here

If you look at the houses down south, you'll see it everywhere. Esp here in the west of the country. I'd never heard orvseen it either until I moved here
Must keep an eye out next I'm down that direction though can't say I really noticed it much in donegal but then I haven't known what to look for and not necessarily paid much attention. I'd say float n sponge do me better anyways. Lol

Must keep an eye out next I'm down that direction though can't say I really noticed it much in donegal but then I haven't known what to look for and not necessarily paid much attention. I'd say float n sponge do me better anyways. Lol

You'll remember it from now on. It'll be one of them lightbulb moments every time your down here and spot it. Even 20 yrs from now you'll be saying, that's what that fenian c**t hail hail was talking about :loco:

When you say it think i know what you mean now! Mind seeing some houses and was. Wonderong what the finish was, that may have been what it was.