sand and cement after dpc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy2012

Hi all joiner by trade :)

This week I have been helping a friend out with some damp problems on her old late 1800s cottage, I pulled off the skirting boards to find the dpc injection was already installed and that it had a coat of sand and cement render what was done around 18 years ago, when I asked her she said it was done so she could get the mortgage by the builder who owned it! say no more, So chopped off the S&C render and found the bricks were perished damp and crumbling.
so i looked up why it was in the state it's in and found some interesting answers..

Here>>> Managing damp problems in old buildings

Seems sand and cement done the damage I have looked up a few post's here and on the web and some still say use sand and cement I am by no way an expert on dpc or plastering but those walls are shot due to the moisture being trapped and wont be getting sand and cement back on, looks like its a renovating plaster or is there anything else what is as good but not as expensive? thanks.

I would have thought originally it would have been plastered with lime, so ideally you would use that.....renovating plaster is expensive but its good gear..................welcome to the dark side by the way......................:RpS_thumbup:

Lime plastering is the way to go.alternatively dry line with membrane for basements then 2x1 with plasterboard.

Now I aint having this, a joiner actually asking for some advice haha I thought you joiners knew it all ?

Tank it and no more problems, whats the ground conditions ? also whats the floor, solid or timber?

With crumbling shite brickwork a men rain system is the way to go. Other wise you may struggle getting anything to adhere the the substrate.

The floor is a timber floor.... 4X2 packed up on bits of timber wedges damproof turned up ends of joists and rotten, on soil with a void space of around 100mm! not good, Tanking it would continue the problem of Keeping in the moisture?

The floor should be removed and concrete replacement but in them old buildings they put timber floors in and built internal walls on top of them :-o even the internal brick walls are shot with sand and cement.

joiners no nothing when it comes to the messy stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.