same mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anybody 2 coat with same mix? whats results like?
ive always done a fresh mix for second coat as thats how i was taught.
know some lads on site bang it on with same mix, must save loads of time but cant imagine finish being as good? just fancy one coating isnt it?

I believe a separate mix is a better finish , for those who learned through YouTube , the first should have pulled in enough to be flattened before a second is applied , a good enough finish can be achieved to others satisfaction many ways but the best way is separate coats with time allowed in between

I believe a separate mix is a better finish , for those who learned through YouTube , the first should have pulled in enough to be flattened before a second is applied , a good enough finish can be achieved to others satisfaction many ways but the best way is separate coats with time allowed in between
whats wrong with learning through you tube like...................:whistle:

Ive been doing it lately and there is no difference in finish. I can do three sets a day 25m2 per set. I mix it up wet and lay the first coat on,flatten it then by this time the mix is just a little further gone than when you mix it normally. The stuff on the wall has pulled in enough to recieve the second coat. Timings are the key and you soon get used to it. Suits me as I work alone, less mixing,less cleaning,shorter sets.win win(y)

How much do you mix up @kgreigh?
The boarding would have to be very neat for me to put that on out of same mix, accounting for putting on a few bits like cupboard walls and reveals as I go.
Or maybe I've just been brainwashed with the s**t I have to follow in the last 10 years........

I do struggle doing this on boards. Tend to get tiger strips. It works better when there's more suction.

I know what kgreigh is saying but I find mixing a separate mix for laying down ends up with more on, and it finishing earlier in the 'set'.
When doing it with same stuff I don't tend to be able to finish it until it's almost patchy but when laying down with a nice tight coat it's finished half an hour before that time of the set thus getting back the time I spent mixing the laying down gear, and it's easier, and I've more on.
Horses for courses though as always!

Ive been doing it lately and there is no difference in finish. I can do three sets a day 25m2 per set. I mix it up wet and lay the first coat on,flatten it then by this time the mix is just a little further gone than when you mix it normally. The stuff on the wall has pulled in enough to recieve the second coat. Timings are the key and you soon get used to it. Suits me as I work alone, less mixing,less cleaning,shorter sets.win win(y)
Do u managed to get a good finish on old work/walls ? How do u go on with ceilings wear a waterproof hat ??

I often use the same mix. If for example I have an area that only needs one bag of gear to do, just mix it drop it on the board, lay it all on, clean up and back to it. Did it today as it happens and the finish was good.

C
How much do you mix up @kgreigh?
The boarding would have to be very neat for me to put that on out of same mix, accounting for putting on a few bits like cupboard walls and reveals as I go.
Or maybe I've just been brainwashed with the s**t I have to follow in the last 10 years........
Couple of bags if there's plenty to go at and the right situation like on board work. If there's lots of small walls,angles and fiddly bits etc then I won't be mixing that much up. Once you get the timings sorted it's a doddle.

I often use the same mix. If for example I have an area that only needs one bag of gear to do, just mix it drop it on the board, lay it all on, clean up and back to it. Did it today as it happens and the finish was good.

I think 99% of spreads do this, but I thought we were talking about skimming houses out etc

C

Couple of bags if there's plenty to go at and the right situation like on board work. If there's lots of small walls,angles and fiddly bits etc then I won't be mixing that much up. Once you get the timings sorted it's a doddle.

Yeah I was guessing that, the board work must be spot on for you to get that coverage.
A lot of the time with the s**t I have to follow I have to mix two bags up just to first coat an area of 25 to 30!!
(That's where the sponge comes in lol)

I totally agree. I've worked for other spreads, in gangs etc on sites & domestic who use the same gear for both coats or go straight over the first coat and the finish is acceptable to the clients, site agents etc but I personally prefer the traditional method. Horses for courses though.

Use to do it a lot, but quality dropped so started mixing 2 separate, we had trouble mainly over board

A flatten off after first coat draws water to surface giving you an extra 5/10 mins, then laid in a separate coat gives you longer, which means more m2 you can get on the wall.

If you can put 20m2 laying down with same gear you'll easily get 30m2 on with separate coats.

So in effect 2 separate coats at 2.5 hours drying time getting 60m on works out quicker than 3 same gear coats at 2 hours each getting 60m2.

Use to do it a lot, but quality dropped so started mixing 2 separate, we had trouble mainly over board

A flatten off after first coat draws water to surface giving you an extra 5/10 mins, then laid in a separate coat gives you longer, which means more m2 you can get on the wall.

If you can put 20m2 laying down with same gear you'll easily get 30m2 on with separate coats.

So in effect 2 separate coats at 2.5 hours drying time getting 60m on works out quicker than 3 same gear coats at 2 hours each getting 60m2.

That's what I was trying to say lol

When I was about 23 I was working with a 45 year old spread 50/50 split with money.

We got pulled a few times for various imperfections, i put it down to 1 coating, he disagreed.

So I said I was going back to basics, spot board out and 2 coating he carried on how we were before, he'd lay in with same gear, I'd use my gear then mix again after a flatten, was getting about 10m2 extra than him plus what I'd normally do more due to me being younger and fitter, granted he'd be done about 15/20 mins before, but the quality was slightly better on my work and I'd got more on.

Funny thing is he got a a foreman's job and I got f**k*d over 2 months later.

Best thing that ever happened to me to be fair

Not at all mate.

He works as a supervisor/foreman checking work, snagging on mainly council refurb work.

I set my own business up doing domestics, learnt rendering, now have a good little business booked up til end of September, approved by 3 render manufacturers have 2 vehicles a solid reputation in the local area and bought a ritmo l about 3 months ago earning 2/3 x as much as I did.

What would you rather be doing?

Grown men arguing on site over £20 of m2, travelling 60-80 miles per day, working for £2.50 per m2, H&S rules that make no sense and hinder your working speed, arguing with commercial outfits over pay, fighting tooth and nail with a QS for your wages which you have waited 2 weeks for, price per m2 changing when they think "you've earns too much floating and setting", snagging lists, s**t boarding, loading out, walking miles for water.

f**k me, I'd rather be a checkout bitch at Aldi, lol

Site work was always a last resort for me... preferred the smaller projects and domestic projects... from november we would jump on site to see us over the christmas period but that was it.

Grown men arguing on site over £20 of m2, travelling 60-80 miles per day, working for £2.50 per m2, H&S rules that make no sense and hinder your working speed, arguing with commercial outfits over pay, fighting tooth and nail with a QS for your wages which you have waited 2 weeks for, price per m2 changing when they think "you've earns too much floating and setting", snagging lists, s**t boarding, loading out, walking miles for water.

f**k me, I'd rather be a checkout bitch at Aldi, lol

Hahah its funny you say that m8 ... loads of spreads my way charge £100 a day ... there just thick fucks who know nothing about running a business ... after tax and overheads you'd actualy earn more on the cheque out at Aldi like you say .... The latest round here is doing a 1 day course and offering damp proofing with 30 yrs Guarantee lol ....

Hahah its funny you say that m8 ... loads of spreads my way charge £100 a day ... there just thick fucks who know nothing about running a business ... after tax and overheads you'd actualy earn more on the cheque out at Aldi like you say .... The latest round here is doing a 1 day course and offering damp proofing with 30 yrs Guarantee lol ....
Where you based? Like the sound of that course!! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.