Salts/damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Have a wall to look at. Customer said there is salts showing through internal wall. Caused prob by penetrating damp as the pointing was goosed and this has now been re pointed.

Problem is it is solid wall no cavity built with breeze bloc on interior. Existing backing plaster and skim is only around 6mm . So can only be hacked off to the same extent. Now pointing is what backing coat would u use. S and c not a not an option due to existing plaster depth?

feckin what ever you use you could only get one coat of being on before skimming? What about drywall??

any suggestions

also if backing plaster is only thin can salts contained with in blocks still show through?

thanks in advance

We have found in the past that thin coats of salt resistant plaster can still let salts through. Sure I read somewhere they need at least 12mm to be effective.

With that in mind I would spray a salt neautralizer on the wall then tank and dri coat or s + c with water proofer and skim as asif said.

They could help too by allowing it to dry before re plastering, perhaps using a heater localised or dehumidifier, doing something similar myself

would it not be best to knock the whole wall off then the thickness would not be an issue so you could do the job as you would normally? sorry if I've misunderstood regarding the 6mm thickness issue as I've assumed your patching??

6mm is all I have as they only want it hacking off to 1.2m and there is a dado rail so I have to.match existing plaster above dado

would it not be best to knock the whole wall off then the thickness would not be an issue so you could do the job as you would normally? sorry if I've misunderstood regarding the 6mm thickness issue as I've assumed your patching??

If there is no thickness issue I would batten and board.

In this case a sulfate resisting tanking is the only option.

Take the plaster off. Take the dado off. Do the whole wall and refit the dado. Tell them what they want doing and what they need doing are not always the same thing. Or do a shitty 4mm coat and just say I told you so

Last edited:
Why not build another wall in front and tell them you needed the work..some people and their ideas on here, you have to work to what's common sense , on here people are so macho but to the customer"oh yes, if that's what you like, no problem"

Why not build another wall in front and tell them you needed the work..some people and their ideas on here, you have to work to what's common sense , on here people are so macho but to the customer"oh yes, if that's what you like, no problem"

The problem is John the general public don't understand what needs doing. I quoted a damp job a few weeks back. I priced to inject dry zone. Tank it sand and cement and skim. They went with the bloke who priced for knock off hardwall and skim. Damp needs sorting properly or else you're wasting your time and the customers money

I know beddy, but we are often in the middle between builder and owner/ tenant, some things are difficult to analyse, finding cause is the first rule as we all know, patching damp work is difficult, its hard to have a genuine seal with a patch unless the cause is solved firstly, the wall allowed to dry secondly and thirdly a sensible solution, this is why I suggested vandex in two coats as the localised seal, then dri coat which can be applied thinly, it's just a best patch solution, horrible jobs that I would only do for people I know as they can bite us in the ass. No one wants to return and remove carpet,skirting dados,hack off and start again..

Google Technoseal. I work for a damproofer, we usually use a membrane system in conjunction with technoseal, however on occasions like this with depth being an issue we use this. Only used it over smaller areas. Could check with their tech support as to suitability for your application

It's been repointed, why not just dry it out with the dehumid , pitch and blind and go over the top....? Job's a goodun!

you are the trades man so you should tell them how the job is to be done and not the other way round... I advise my customers to the way it should be done and if they want it doing some way else I say ok no problem but I will not guarantee it..

im just a young pup marra, aint got a clue what ya on about.....................:RpS_unsure:.

I put some pics up a while back of a damp proofing job an old spread( I use the word spread in a small capacity) had done with harry black. He coated the walls, rendered it and skimmed it the same day...................:-0, strangely it all failed

im just a young pup marra, aint got a clue what ya on about.....................:RpS_unsure:.

I put some pics up a while back of a damp proofing job an old spread( I use the word spread in a small capacity) had done with harry black. He coated the walls, rendered it and skimmed it the same day...................:-0, strangely it all failed

All on the same day, eh. No wonder..:rolleyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.