S&c over engineering brick

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heafy

I've been invited to tender for a job with the local council. The job is render 34 terraced houses in s&c, the houses are built out of a local brick called 'ruabon reds' and it's really dense. What's the best course of action for rendering over this sort of brick. The project is 28 weeks long so I think raking out the mortar joints is outta the question so I'm thinkig either eml which could prove to be costly or using an sbr slurry. What do you guys think, if the slurry coat option seems the best route then what's the ratios to make it and how is it applied to the walls?
Thanks

what you could do is give the walls a splater coat of sbr-cement and sand. this is quick and gives a really good key for your first scratch coat of render

simplybesty said:
what you could do is give the walls a splater coat of sbr-cement and sand. this is quick and gives a really good key for your first scratch coat of render
Thanks for the reply simply, what's the best way to splatter coat the walls, and do you apply and leave it for a day or so to set.

warriorupnorth said:
Just use a rend aid/pre-rend mate save you a lot of messing about
I thought about this Paul and I know it makes sense to use rendaid, but I bet the cowboys round ere won't be using a pre-rend treatment therefore being alot more cheaper than myself. Maybe I should get in touch with the main contractor and explain my reasons for using a rendaid. How much should I be paying per bag of weber rendaid and what other products are out there, cheers.

heafy said:
I've been invited to tender for a job with the local council. The job is render 34 terraced houses in s&c, the houses are built out of a local brick called 'ruabon reds' and it's really dense. What's the best course of action for rendering over this sort of brick. The project is 28 weeks long so I think raking out the mortar joints is outta the question so I'm thinkig either eml which could prove to be costly or using an sbr slurry. What do you guys think, if the slurry coat option seems the best route then what's the ratios to make it and how is it applied to the walls?
Thanks
eml could also be costly an time consuming i would defo go for rendaid and even a weber ocr which would save time an labour costs

madmonk said:
heafy said:
Thanks
eml could also be costly an time consuming i would defo go for rendaid and even a weber ocr which would save time an labour costs
Does weber OCR rub up exactly the same as s&c then, if you cud provide me with some prices for this stuff then I can compare and contrast against s&c, thanx

heafy said:
madmonk said:
heafy said:
Thanks
Does weber OCR rub up exactly the same as s&c then, if you cud provide me with some prices for this stuff then I can compare and contrast against s&c, thanx
it does mate hence only one skin aswell the rendaid itself acts like a scratch coat aswell but must be left at least 4 days to cure prices depends where your supplier gets it from rendaid is about 8pound a bag but if you are getting quite a bit you might get it a bit cheaper

reason i said a slurry mix is becasue i thought he didnt want to go down the expence of bagged but if you want to use bagged then Cpi highbond is cheaper than rendaid and you can use cpi general over the top. highbond is about £7 a bag and general is around 3.60 a bag, why dont you see if some of the machine lads could help you out. knock out times would go right down.

is this stuff ok to use with sand cement ? .................has anyone ever tried, sounds a bit too good to be true tbh

sbr with a grit in it and coloured orange to avoid misses. Excellent gear, used it on a job of face bricks to control suction and give a good key and worked a treat with the monorex finish. Slowed suction right down to bout half that of blockwork id say as we'd not bothered coating a blocked up window and that was miles ahead in the set of the mono.

Heafy mate I can gaurantee the other guys in for the pricing will not be pricing EML into the tender so avoid that mate it will put your costs up. also the fact they are asking for sand and cement means they want a cheap job done. has the render being replaced or just new for cosmetics? S&C prices are very keen. stick to sbr at the most.

Sounds familiar this I was asked for a budget for 32 terrace houses down your way with a 30 week period.
watch the LAD's mate

Status
Not open for further replies.