running a plaster skirting

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1903

iv 2 run a plaster skirtin on a round wall running it isnt a problem but its got a bead running along the bottom on the floor and im thinking it will just crack (plaster on wood) any ideas on wot 2 do . ty

Leave that for the client/decorator to discuss...............
Mind you if it's a skirting, beddy could be your man. It's the right height for him I've heard:RpS_thumbup:

leave a gap between the skirting 5mm above the finished floor this should prevent any cracking with the floor moving, if its getting carpet then that will hide the void, if not tell customer to put some kind of flexible sealant in the gap

Yes I have done them like render systems says will sort you out. What did you run it in ?.

leave a gap between the skirting 5mm above the finished floor this should prevent any cracking with the floor moving, if its getting carpet then that will hide the void, if not tell customer to put some kind of flexible sealant in the gap

cheers ma loon . havnt done the job yet next week also got the picture rail 2 run aswell that should b okay was just going 2 run it on situe its part of a baywindow.

Read this post Steve, and thought yes that is the most obvious answer,but how does he acheive the said 5mm gap, so that it looks neat and reasonably parallel with the floor.

The issue here is of corse ,the floor may be old floor boards, uneven and out of level. If the floor is to stay he has to follow its line to a degree.The problem is how he sets up the runner for his horse. Normally with a top hanging runner.

I have in mind that he ,for ease fixes a 3mm plaster thin coat bead 4 to 6mm off the floor( following the floor line). He constructs the horse as normal,then fixes to the bottom section a piece of metal ( say a GL1 bracket) cut so that it will sit on the lip of the bead. Thus he can run using the bead as his running ( batton) and hold the top dead against the plaster in the bay.

I would suggest Hurculite , giving greater impact resistance.

I would just use a top hung runner set level... then have the tin cut in a fashion that would cut the rebate into the plaster if the floor is not level... once the skirting has been run then just place a 5mm strip of hardboard below and under the skirting covered with release agent then fill in downto the hardboard.

Round timber is tricky,espeially if the bay is a tight radius. Here is a tip : Aquire a length of 10mm plastic fascia board, cut a 25mm strip of the length. This stuff will bend a treat into the bay radius.Plus easy to fix. Used it on an external curved feature once.

Bendy MDF Bendy MDF.jpg

Can always run a core with sand and cement and some fibres (Scrim, horsehair or chopped fibreglass strands) then do the top layer with castin plaster with a bit of cement mixed in.

gives you a good hard finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.