Rule of thumb

Members online

flynnyman

When returning a cornice into the wall say at a raked ceiling or hallway how far should it be back? I've done my hallway and it bugs me I have set one back about four inch and one finishing at the corner coz I got bullied off the wife :( what's the reason for setting it back? I remember being taught a reason but can't remember but personally it looks more decorative and doesn't look like a mistake or squashed if it's set back and you can see it. So is their a historical reason or rule of thumb or maybe it's a personal choice?

When returning a cornice into the wall say at a raked ceiling or hallway how far should it be back? I've done my hallway and it bugs me I have set one back about four inch and one finishing at the corner coz I got bullied off the wife :( what's the reason for setting it back? I remember being taught a reason but can't remember but personally it looks more decorative and doesn't look like a mistake or squashed if it's set back and you can see it. So is their a historical reason or rule of thumb or maybe it's a personal choice?

Are re you talking about a stop end, the bottom of a staircase for example?

I was taught (probably wrongly) to leave it back the same distance as the width of the projection from the wall, so bog standard 5 " id leave back about 3 and 3/4".

i never have this problem with polystyrene coving....................:rolleyes)

you must be able to baffle the old woman with science!

cant believe a plasterer gets bullied by his wife - especially about coving :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:--

Personally as a wife myself. I think you'll find if you don't like it, she doesn't think it looks right either. She's just standing her ground! If you were to suggest standing it forward, as middle ground, I think you'll find she'd go for it, as she hasn't lost the battle:RpS_biggrin:

Little does she know I'm popping in through the day when I get the chance and moving it a couple of mill this time next year it will be sorted and she will never know ;)
Little did I know she has been nipping back in the day and moving the other one a couple of mill and I'm back at square one :(

Hi this is called a self return it is to give the affect that the cornice continue into another room.