rugby premium cement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

anybody using premier rugby cement as i used it lately adding waterproofer to a 4-1 mix for rendering on blockwork which was wetted down first and it was virtually like powder when it dried was it the additives in the cement that caused it or to much waterproofer i usually use blue circle but alot of stockists have stopped selling it due to the price i know years ago they brought out mastercrete and had the same problem,ive never used rugby before so a lesson to be learned,anybody had the same problems,thanks

Mine was fine when used it other day Ruddez, I norm use blue circle, only got this as was on sale in build base

Too much waterproofer can leave it very dusty even more so if its a fine sand. Also drying too quick even tho it was wet before hand the sun can be cruel to sand and cement!

The sun, in Ireland ,, joking aside we have to be aware of a lot of stuff, local knowledge can be a great help

The sun, in Ireland ,, joking aside we have to be aware of a lot of stuff, local knowledge can be a great help
Its been sunny for 2 days now!! People are talking about bar-b-q's, the beach and sun cream! Doesn't take much sun to get carried away about here:RpS_biggrin:

My sister texted back yesterday ," out walking its roasting" safer in the midlands, only get nine months rain

Does this premium cement have a plastisizer already added? If so you are adding 100% waterproofer which has 100% air entrainer added plus the cements air entrainer which makes it over plasticised.

yes the premium cement has added additives which i didnt realise my fault but also it has blown in patches so it will have to come off also i put on some plinths on another part of the house which were fined down but using rugby cement again and they all cracked and blown that was also a 4-1 mix with waterproofer the waterproofer make was everbuild premier so i am wondering now have i put to much waterproofer in the mix as i never gauged it they recommend 125mm to 250mm to each 50kg of cement what do you boys use as a gauge and could it be the sand as well it was building sand which is fine sand also i should have put some lime in the mix and i didnt realise they make ordinary rugby cement which i will try next time

what you recommend as i always use builders sand as it is the only sand in the builders merchants so mix sharp and builders sand together but i have never had this problem before and i will stick to ordinary cement and cut down on the waterproofer,thanks

If your mixing with sharp u should be ok but generally a plasterers washed sand (leyton buzzard pit) sand is what's used, lovely to throw on compared to sharp.

When I have worked away and the local merchants don,t have plastering sand then I have mixed sharp (grit) sand and builders sand together and it sets rock hard. A bit naff for rubbing up though.

:RpS_laugh: ^^^^^LOL yeah, I've rubbed up grit sand before and had no skin left on my fingertips, picking the fkin stones out :RpS_crying:

i had this problem recently and had to hack it all off, the rugby premium cement has lime added to it and when you add waterproofer with(i was using freeflo) it it rips right through it,, i got in touch with the rep and they said its not the first theyve had on this, i assume its the one in the white bag,,for this reason i went back to blue circle.. same mix same waterproofer,,and guess what no problems, stick to what you know and dont persuaded by price ,,cheers steve

Keep to basic ordinary portland cement. No additives, you add what you want.

i have used for the last 20 years BLI cement (Buxton Lime Industries).

Had the same problem back in 93 when the firm I was working with got a deal on mastercrete ( marvellous new cement blend!) the lab was mixing as normal with waterproofer. Two weeks later the stuff was falling off the wall on its own!
OPC!

what sand do you use as where we are there is only building sand that is available which i usually get from lbs builders merchants but the sand i used this time was from selcos so i am wondering if the sand is to blame as well anyway got to hack it off next week and start again and this time with the materials ive used in the past

Soft sand is simply a no go. Have you a local Wickes or B&Q Depot? They sell plastering sand.

anybody using premier rugby cement as i used it lately adding waterproofer to a 4-1 mix for rendering on blockwork which was wetted down first and it was virtually like powder when it dried was it the additives in the cement that caused it or to much waterproofer i usually use blue circle but alot of stockists have stopped selling it due to the price i know years ago they brought out mastercrete and had the same problem,ive never used rugby before so a lesson to be learned,anybody had the same problems,thanks

YES mate,im a roofer though,i don't put febmix or fairy liquid in etc, ive had 4 jobs that have cost me money to put right due to mortar crumbling to dust,i contacted jacksons rep who very kindly met me today in the merchants. he has taken away a sample to test at the lab,i will post further news when I get it. I was directed here with my search"problems with rugby premium cement" the guy was very helpful,even adding its possible it could be the sand having too much silt content,,,,,,,,,don't blame yourself,its not your fault,ive been a roofer 30yrs with no probs,that said ive always used blue circle in the past.it was only down to the change of their supplier I used it at all. if anyone wants the reps number pm me and I will forward it,he is based in leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.