RSJ Calculation

Members online

Morning chaps

We are almost ready for the bungalow purchase to go through... (can at anytime fall through though)

So we will be moving in fairly sharpish to free our current property up to get tenants in so we will be kinder living in the new place while we do the work.

We are having to get planning permission to build my garden office due to its size so we are submitting all of that together once the purchase is complete.

The trouble we have is that place is quite smalll and we want to knock the kitchen into the lounge (use to be a bedroom) to create a bigger living space and so jane can be cooking and watching the kids.

The plan is to block the lounge door up then an RSJ through... We are not sure what is going on in the loft just yet as those plans are not drawn up yet and the RSJ maybe just temporary until we have planning and the office built.

How do I work out the calculations for the
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-16 at 10.13.30.jpeg
RSJ?

Morning chaps

We are almost ready for the bungalow purchase to go through... (can at anytime fall through though)

So we will be moving in fairly sharpish to free our current property up to get tenants in so we will be kinder living in the new place while we do the work.

We are having to get planning permission to build my garden office due to its size so we are submitting all of that together once the purchase is complete.

The trouble we have is that place is quite smalll and we want to knock the kitchen into the lounge (use to be a bedroom) to create a bigger living space and so jane can be cooking and watching the kids.

The plan is to block the lounge door up then an RSJ through... We are not sure what is going on in the loft just yet as those plans are not drawn up yet and the RSJ maybe just temporary until we have planning and the office built.

How do I work out the calculations for theView attachment 57774 RSJ?

You dont...yer man with drawings does

yeah but i cant instruct until we complete and then the wait will mean i will be doing it with the family
Just book a structural engineer in Danny, they’ll turn it around in a few days and your ass is covered.

job I’m just doing put in 2 7x4 steels, my house 2 8x4, another job one big f**k*r!

The local structural engineer is an absolute first class tosser.
and bloody expensive to had to use one a few year back for a customer to calculate what rsj to use to replace a double 14 x 8 pitch pine beam /£900 for a tiny sketch and a letter for building control he even told the woman photo copy it herself

If it's just the beam size that's the issue, and you know where it's going and what's above it, you can use an online calculator for £50 or so. Here for example, but there are others.

Bear in mind that all a SE will do is feed in the details to a similar program.

Yes there is nothing above and when we finally do teh loft conversion I will probably have to change it anyway but that is a year or so away.

I will take a look :D thank you :D

the rule of thumb for the RSJ. if the opening is 12 ft the RSJ required should not be smaller then 12 inches by 6 inches.

Planning people won't accept any calculations you do as your not qualified. Talk to a structural engineer you tight c**t.

I have an architect that is doing all that for the loft and extensions etc

This is just to make the place liveable while all that stuff is going through and being worked out.

No they won't, you mug.the planning bloke isn't an engineer. How the f**k is he supposed to know you got it right?
No they won't, you mug.the planning bloke isn't an engineer. How the f**k is he supposed to know you got it right?
Talking bollox again, when you submit for building regs approval the building control officer will check calculations and either approve or refuse permission. Micky mouse can do the calcs as long as they are correct.

Here's a pair i put in last summer without using engineer, you got any pics of ones you have put in @Stevieo ?

Attachments

• 20210118_122650.jpg
    20210118_122650.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 207
Looks like the steel version of Tapit tape! but he is right,
Planning have no clue about structural stuff, Building Control handle calcs, and provided you can show the calcs/table source then they can ok it. Sometimes they will tell you what size to use if you ask nicely (helped me no end).
Since this is nothing to do with the final planning application it's just a homeowners internal alteration, and does not need planning approval. But if you've no calcs/table source and it fails your insurance will fail aswell.
You'll need to beef up the wall with a pier and padstone, that single wall isn't stable enough.

Looks like the steel version of Tapit tape! but he is right,
Planning have no clue about structural stuff, Building Control handle calcs, and provided you can show the calcs/table source then they can ok it. Sometimes they will tell you what size to use if you ask nicely (helped me no end).
Since this is nothing to do with the final planning application it's just a homeowners internal alteration, and does not need planning approval. But if you've no calcs/table source and it fails your insurance will fail aswell.
You'll need to beef up the wall with a pier and padstone, that single wall isn't stable enough.

Building inspector in IOM was an ex brickie. Top banana. You could ring him up any time and ask him anything

Nice when someone's in that kind of position with the intention of actually contributing to people's wellbeing, rather than just doing the bare minimum to justify their salary.
He lived a couple of houses up from my parents and he was mates with my mates dad who lived next door.

Not too sure if he was as helpful with everyone but I'm inclined to think he was.