roughcasting (pebble dashing)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
been a plasterer since i left school, now 32 so been at it a wee while. was always taught to coat a whole pannel before harling it, a litre of waterproof to a gauge wich does 20m2. even on a 70m2 gabble end, can manage a pannel like that alone with a labourer, coat it then go back and hit it. with catchers down the bottom to catch the chips then i use those chips on the bottom lift

The new guy im with now want us to coat down to where the wheel barrow sits and harl that bit, then coat down last 2' on that lift, go down and coat down to the wheel barrow height on lift below then harl down to the barrow, its starting to get right on my tits done loads of houses with him and hes on every bloody 1 with me. its madness in my opinion, we get the odd line but he doesnt seem bothered, i think we save 3 or 4 bags of chips a lift. end of the day all im interested in a leaving a nice job, finding it hard with all these joints on pannels tho.

So tell him ! lol or put it in a way that might make it seem better, Easier, Faster, at least get your point across that your not happy doing it his way

Why do you have to do it is way ?,,is he the boss ? if not tell him you would like him to try your way now that you have given his way a good go ,he may end -up preferring your way !! good luck oh if he says no then **** him on the nose ,lol

I've never tried putting a whole side of a house on before applying the stones and to be honest I wouldn't fancy doing that way either.

I wouldn't fancy laying a full gable on either. I don't know how you can, without it taking up before you dash it. Fk me I must be slow.

If you're getting joints or lift-lines in it try leaving a longer tail, I leave about 8-12 inches undashed and then lay the next bit on :RpS_thumbup:

it all depends on what material is to be used. if it is sand,cement and lime, we may only put one lift on before we dash.
the joint would be cut in a dogstooth pattern so not to show a joint.
if we are rendering with a dashing mortar on a ewi system we would lay the whole wall on before we dash.

sorry about the icons just experimenting:rolleyes) i thought he just wanted the guy to try his way ! the last pebbledash i did i was laying on and dashing:RpS_thumbsup: my mrs said let me have a go at dashing the spa she was F G at it it looked so good we had peeps keep asking for a price to do there houses :RpS_biggrin:

what do you guys use to dash with, i made a sort of wooden square table-tennis racket ,i found this to be the best results after trying the correct trowel,coal shovel ,:flapper:

I use a coal shovel, the small ones not the one as big as a no 2 shovel. We have catch trays like the old wooden bread boards and a plastic bath. What the trays and bath does,t catch the catch sheet on the ground does so not a lot of waste.

I do one lift at a time and take the render below the scaffold ledger line at least 150mm but dash to the scaffold ledger line. I have before done whole walls first but usually at this time of year when the waterproofer works well and the air is so damp the gobbo just hangs wet forever. If I knew there was no chance of drying at all I would probably do it this way but in summer not much chance of that.

I sometimes wonder with the machine applied dashing renders on the market if because of the speed of application this could be a possibility?

i have not used the dashing machine, but as you know dashing by hand is fast. when we are dashing a tower block we make sure that the scaffold is fully loaded before we start to dash.
there are usually stop beads on areas where the colour of the flint may be changed, to make up a pattern

Do you guys cut your own quoin stones ? they are very popular here in wales ! i see a guy pebble dash a house off a ladder here a few years ago !! he did a **** -hot job as well :RpS_thumbsup:

hes the boss he figures he saves pennies that way, and doesnt have to pick chips up, defo no used to doing his way, tryed to put up a pick but not managing, we dont harl right down to the edge lol, he does want a 12 " edge unharled to join in to, its not a straight line it is wavey. sais hes done it my way and doesnt like it, if you coat for 2 hours even 3 the sand cement should still be wet, hes not doing it to battle high suction hes just saving pennies, i use a harling trowel for harling. no sure jamie, canny realy mind, i do no that a local builder has gone tits up due to george rome roughcasting a housing scheme in dundee, the whole sites harling is boss, woulda expected better. plenty freeflo in the scratch coat bubbles saves going from coating to dashing and back to coating etc

I've got a Winget 150T FT which is bigger than a standard diesel site mixer and I don't think I've ever put a litre of Freeflo in a mix.

thats the mixer, 2 bags of cement 3rd of a ton sand 1 ltr free flo. this guy uses the same amount as me, thats not new, we all use that around scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.