Roughcasting mix ratios

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY

I have several jobs coming up that involve roughcasting garden walls.
The last time I done roughcasting was on site and the labrador done all our mixing.
Is it better to use quarry dust or slapdash and what amount of cement and sand (if any) and what ratios is best for a nice tight dash. Thanks

I use Krend roughcast when i do any now great stuff
or 4:1 scratch with water proofer
5:1 butter coat, 6:1:1 , stones, sand, cement, always worked for me and ive done loads of it

Ive used krend roughcast in the past myself , lovely stuff but the customer wants normal roughcast.
What type of stones would you recommend? quarrydust or slapdash?

Yeah mate i think the krend is about 6mm or so 10mm is the maximum size i would use though i wouldnt use anything bigger than that

SLIPPY said:
The last time I done roughcasting was on site and the labrador done all our mixing.
Is it better to use quarry dust or slapdash and what amount of cement and sand (if any) and what ratios is best for a nice tight dash. Thanks
ive never come across this type of finsh what does it involve

georgemealy75 said:
SLIPPY said:
ive never come across this type of finsh what does it involve

It involves mixing up stones & cement and a small amount of sand & water & usins a harling or dashing scoop and chucking it at a dried and cured keyd render to give a very rough durable finish to an exterior wall .

fair play to anyone these days who can do it perfectly with a uniform finish without leaving throwing marks

We do loads of wet dashing up this way and find if you add some grannit dust and lime you tend to get a better finish it just gives it abit more body and we mostly use 6-8mm stone depends if you are matching in or not

Just use the same mix as your butter coat wet it up and pour into plasterers plastic bath and 3 builders size buckets of stone per barrow load and mix in with a shovel or drill wet it up again and use . You will be surprized how wet it has to be .

merlin said:
whats the krend like chris ? never seen it, does it come in same colours?
Its good stuff Ian, this is a job i did as a subby in the Lakes a few years back in Krend roughcast.
Ive taken these off their website but i rendered it so they can f**k off

IMG_6355-2.jpg

IMG_6526-1.jpg

kb_view_small.jpg

pftmonojetman said:
merlin said:
Its good stuff Ian, this is a job i did as a subby in the Lakes a few years back in Krend roughcast.
Ive taken these off their website but i rendered it so they can (french word) off

IMG_6355-2.jpg

IMG_6526-1.jpg

kb_view_small.jpg

Lovely work , I have used the K-Rend dash on a few jobs myself but it would be alot more costly in comparison to s+c & stones etc.

pftmonojetman said:
merlin said:
Ive taken these off their website but i rendered it so they can (french word) off

IMG_6355-2.jpg

IMG_6526-1.jpg

kb_view_small.jpg
looks quality mate, do u apply it just the same?, not done alot of roughcast

Yeah mate plastic beads 15mm krend base coat, then butter coat then dash while tacky, you can put a decent amount on before you need to turn back and dash it, render bands on the reveals because the dash can get heavy and the windows wont open. Mixed in half cut water butts

Status
Not open for further replies.