rough cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey2012

i've n ever done any rough casting but i've been asked by a friend to do some patching for him,so i'm going to have a go, i'd be grateful if someone could give me a bit of information on what mix to use.

its dead easy, its all in the wrist, i find it very messy so cover anything up thats new ie doors, windows, driveways etc. Also watch your eyes as it goes every where and you end up looking like something out of a horror film so every now and then stop a rub your self down with a clean cloth.

i've never done any rough casting but if you cast you're eye over most of my work it looks rough, does that count?

Last edited:
Scratch coat 4/1 - top coat 5/1/1 make sure still wet - wet dash 5/1/1 + stone between 6 -10 mm (depending on how rough) mixed like piss, then make some mess! All in wrist!

Same as above scratch 4 to 1 then leave for a few days as normal. Then 5 buckets of sand 1 bag of 25kg cement half bucket of lime for the under coat(we give this a brush with a soft floor brush to help key it). Then when it is firm but not set dash with a mix of 4 buckets of chips 2 buckets of sand 1 bag of cement half bucket of lime. let this mix for at least 10 or 15 mins so its nice and creamy, have it good and soft so its easy spread. cover what you can and watch the eyes. Hope this helps.

Mixes vary from plasterer to plasterer. Here's my mix:
Backing coat: 4/1 sand cement with waterproofer.
Butter coat: 6/1/1 sand cement lime
Dash: 3/3/1/1 chips sand cement lime

If I can improve on the ratios let me know

Mixes vary from plasterer to plasterer. Here's my mix:
Backing coat: 4/1 sand cement with waterproofer.
Butter coat: 6/1/1 sand cement lime
Dash: 3/3/1/1 chips sand cement lime

If I can improve on the ratios let me know
I agree different plasterers dif mix. We use to use the same ratio for dash as butter coat but i think it leaves the dash stronger than the butter coat because of the size of the chips compared to the grain of the sand. (The coarser the stronger it is) If you get what i mean:confused:

I am surprised to hear that. Layed a 30m2 basement floor in a pub couple of weeks back in grano. Had no problems getting hold of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.