Room preparation by customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGunner

I've always wondered, and had several different opinions on the issue, how prepared should the customer have their property??

I had a room that needed the wallpaper stripped and skimmed amongst other work in the house. The customer had 2 days to have the box room empty and ready for me to work on. I get there and the bed's still there, curtains are left on, desk has a few things on it. They wanted me to take the curtain off and take the bed out. I was in a rush as my other work was outdoors and it was raining so I had 3 days to complete everything so I just take everything off, empty it and crack on with it.

Worst part was once everything was completed a week later he called me back to put the curtains on and bed back in. Reason? Because I had removed it and he didn't know how to put it back on and we were 'strong enough' whereas him and his mid-20's son were not. He was holding some of my money (had a few touch ups to do) so I felt like I had no choice.

Do you guys think it's your job to empty the room and to what extent?
Is there a way to avoid this by having it in t&c's in an invoice/quotation????

Any feedback/opinion is appreciated.

Never move anything. Not worth the bother.

If they are not prepared to help there selfs forget it.

Tell them your not insured to move furniture/lift carpets. If they still want you to do it get the damage waver out the van and ask them to sign it first.
That usually gets them moving stuff lol

It's always in our quote that we won't move anything.

It reads something like "the client is reminded that our operatives do not move furniture or floor coverings. These along with any other items present in the work areas should be removed by the clients own arrangements before our operatives arrive on site.

Any delays will be charged at our current day rates. "

Or something like that lol

Obviously if it's a little old lady and there's only a small coffee table we will move it. Be never empty a full room etc

If its minimal then I'll do it out of the kindness of my heart.:)..if its beds, wardrobes, tv etc...then its an extra££££££....depends on the customer.
sounds a bit of a cuunt tbh..holding money off you.
Why didnt you put the stuff back when you were finished anyway?

I always say when I'm quoting that the room must be clear. I've been bitten once and damaged something which I ended up paying for on my liability. I also made a disclaimer just in case.
I did quote for a job a month ago to box in a pipe and re skim a room for a fella who hailed from Asia.
Gave him the price he said ok and you'll paint the walls too. I said no it just says plastering on the van not decorating. He wanted to knock the price by a 3rd. His face was priceless when I turned round and walked away

We was on a job... & plasterer doing a bedroom over board & skim ......who used customers bed for hop up lool

We was on a job... & plasterer doing a bedroom over board & skim ......who used customers bed for hop up lool

Did that last say no lie.. Job for landlord.. Worked for him before.. Told him rooms to be cleared prior to skimming both lids

Showed up and as last time both beds in The room.. Sheeted the beds and jumped on them to skim the lids

Skim all over the pillows etc as impossible to keep clean

Lads who were there paid us and we fecked off...

Live like rats and it was the same last Yr wen we skimme te kitchen lid with a motorbike in the kitchen I **** you not..

All the pillows in the bedrooms were black and I mean black.. Both tenants have birds

World is a crazy place

You need to put terms and conditions on the bottom of every quote, obviously this differs with internal and external.

my internal addition information section includes
radiators to be removed from working areas.
All wallpaper must be stripped, removal of wallpaper by MAC Plastering is charged @ £25.00 per hour/per man
furniture/fixtures must moved from working area
access to water and electricity required at all working times,
safe access required to working area/s at all times

Something along those lines should cover your back, I did a living room Monday and Tuesday, walked in and the guy had left the sofa in his living room, he was apologising like mad before I'd even said it was ok, I ended up covering it and working around it, no problem.

you can't let domestic customers dictate to you in any way, if you do, some will make your life a living hell and treat you like $hit

On a job recently, bedroom walls for the owner, oh whilst your here can you do a patch in my daughters room, go anx have a look, she wants the wal above the pillows patched in , the room is completely made ! Said I'd ran out of gear! Some people. ...

Thanks for the replies. I've had a decorator say curtains or other fixtures are the job of the tradesman but he seems to be in the minority. I think I'll be adding it to my t&c's and letting them know as well. If they don't do it I'll charge, unless it's an old person ;)

If its minimal then I'll do it out of the kindness of my heart.:)..if its beds, wardrobes, tv etc...then its an extra££££££....depends on the customer.
sounds a bit of a cuunt tbh..holding money off you.
Why didnt you put the stuff back when you were finished anyway?

Painted the room, had to wait for it to dry. Had to touch up a couple things here and there on another day so told him I'll want the money then. He was a right nob though, putting post stick notes where he thought it wasn't up to perfection, worst part was it was in places I hadn't even done work!! He thought I'd caused it or was just trying to get free work. Prck.

I always tell the customer to have the room empty and if I turn up and its not i'll just be getting in my van and going to a different job .... If you ask people and they cant be bothered then don't bother working for them as there likely to be bellends ..

I did it once this year in a kitchen - left his massive dining table ... just turned round and walked out ... you have to look at it that if you drag, damage or scratch tables or flooring your working for nothing when they moan or don't pay you .... I don't put myself in these situations anymore ... empty rooms or nothing

we where skimming some ceilings, bedroom and bathroom, had our hit on when the daughter, aged about 17, jumped into the bath, locked the door and would not come out !

working on a very large property, we had been tipped off that the lady owner was very sharp. she asked the kitchen fitter if he would carry a small table upstairs for her, as he carried the table up the stairs he caught and ripped the wallpaper. the quote to wallpaper the hall, stairs and landing was £3,000. which was going to be docked out of his payment. when he said but you asked me to move the table for you, she replied you could have said no!

Last edited:
working on a very large property, we had been tipped off that the lady owner was very sharp. she asked the kitchen fitter if he would carry a small table upstairs for her, as he carried the table up the stairs he caught and ripped the wallpaper. the quote the to wallpaper the hall, stairs and landing was £3,000. which was going to be docked out of his payment. when he said but you asked me to move the table for you, she replied you could have said no!

That's unreal

I mention while qouting at the property that all light fittings curtains furniture out carpet to be rolled up rads off the wall and if it's over artex that they scrape it down before we arrive or we can do all of that but at an additional cost that normally gets it done if not bonus more cash on the job win either way hope this helps

working on a very large property, we had been tipped off that the lady owner was very sharp. she asked the kitchen fitter if he would carry a small table upstairs for her, as he carried the table up the stairs he caught and ripped the wallpaper. the quote the to wallpaper the hall, stairs and landing was £3,000. which was going to be docked out of his payment. when he said but you asked me to move the table for you, she replied you could have said no!

I feel for the guy...

We clear rooms all the time, alot of my customers will schedule works for when they are away on holiday, I will then arrange the decorating as well.
We clear the rooms, do the work and put everything back as they want it.

We clear rooms all the time, alot of my customers will schedule works for when they are away on holiday, I will then arrange the decorating as well.
We clear the rooms, do the work and put everything back as they want it.

I'm guessing you charge for that....?

I always say when I'm quoting that the room must be clear. I've been bitten once and damaged something which I ended up paying for on my liability. I also made a disclaimer just in case.
I did quote for a job a month ago to box in a pipe and re skim a room for a fella who hailed from Asia.
Gave him the price he said ok and you'll paint the walls too. I said no it just says plastering on the van not decorating. He wanted to knock the price by a 3rd. His face was priceless when I turned round and walked away
How did you know :RpS_confused:

I'm noticing that all this lack of trust and underhanded customers is in the south of the country:-0........................ just saying like:RpS_thumbup:

I mention while qouting at the property that all light fittings curtains furniture out carpet to be rolled up rads off the wall and if it's over artex that they scrape it down before we arrive or we can do all of that but at an additional cost that normally gets it done if not bonus more cash on the job win either way hope this helps
do you ask them to mix the gear and make your dinner aswell

knocked off early today. was working in some shops and the decorator was there in the room adjacent to me painting a room id done a few days ago. jesus he was miserable. you wonder why some people carry on living. never stopped whinging and digging at everyone from the moment i walked in. probably slagging me off when i left. one of them who talk AT you all day long. one sided conversation. clocked it in about two minutes. trying to trowel up and hes right alongside me whispering in my fcuking ear about the plumber ffs cos hed scuffed some of his work. told him to go and tell him or did he want me to tell him. like i give a toss. then he had the fellas whos shops they are in moaning about the colour of the paint. unreal. turned the radio up, told him to give me some space cos im swinging about with the trowel but the c**t didnt listen. had to leave before i lost the plot with him

Hi all, quick question I'm going to plaster my bathroom ceiling and would like to know what you guys think is the best way to prep an artex ceiling to give a good key before skimming it?
Thanks luke

Hi all, quick question I'm going to plaster my bathroom ceiling and would like to know what you guys think is the best way to prep an artex ceiling to give a good key before skimming it?
Thanks luke

Underboard with 9.5mm plasterboard idealy

Status
Not open for further replies.