ripples

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29624

Ready for a bashing but want some advice anyway...did a hall, stairs and landing a few weeks ago and had a call saying one of the walls is wavey when the light shines down it, been and looked and customer is right, so said will pop after work and re-do it...rest is fine but I did that wall 2 coats from 1 bucket and its the only one not right, will that be the reason? Putting wet on wet moving the first coat around when trowelling it up, first time ive had this so after a bit of insight. Customer says it looks fine with the lights on just when the daylight hits it....did I maybe put water to it to early?

yep one coating is s**t on reskims first coat on flatten off or get your first coat tidy let it pull in then second coat with fresh gear an you won't have problems

Did you use a s*p*r*lex?
No was mt start to finish....really frustated as its my first call back but with the sun running across it didnt look great...was quite a shiny paint so my thinking was between that and putting second coat on while first was still wet when trowelling I was pulling the first coat around as well as the second

Ready for a bashing but want some advice anyway...did a hall, stairs and landing a few weeks ago and had a call saying one of the walls is wavey when the light shines down it, been and looked and customer is right, so said will pop after work and re-do it...rest is fine but I did that wall 2 coats from 1 bucket and its the only one not right, will that be the reason? Putting wet on wet moving the first coat around when trowelling it up, first time ive had this so after a bit of insight. Customer says it looks fine with the lights on just when the daylight hits it....did I maybe put water to it to early?

Just out of interest was the light shining down the other walls

Try cross troweling earlyier in the mix... ive seen other peoples work and can see the trowel strokes as they havent cross trowelled at all...

so if it's not the trowel or one coat what went wrong to me if its a big stair wall with low suction by the time your ready for laying in the gear is setting so my guess is it was moving the first coat around laying it in

Shine a Light down any wall and u will see Ripples 1 coat or 2 don't matter. The light is a plasterers biggest enemy
Yeah I know if you shine a wall light or something up plaster it will show things up but to be honest this wall is shite in the normal daylight....didnt see anything when I did and its smooth to run your hand across just waves with the light

Just out of interest was the light shining down the other walls
Yes on a few of them, the big wall down the stairs was fine and opened the front door to put light across the downstairs walls

Try cross troweling earlyier in the mix... ive seen other peoples work and can see the trowel strokes as they havent cross trowelled at all...
I only cross trowel on my dry should I try it as part of my wets?

@Lodan we have all been there and will again over lights or Sun light shining down walls. Don't reskim it just put a tight coat of joint filler over the wall job is sorted
Want to reskim it as I feel embarressed and want customer to know im putting the effort into sorting it

well obviously but why blame the trowel he used one coat on a reskim is a no no in my eyes
I know some good plasterers who started using superflexes and got pulled on jobs for ripples that they never used to get, they are not as easy to use as a lot of folk think. I'm not saying they are a bad trowel but I stand by my original comment that if not used right they cause ripples.

problem you have loden is if the light is hitting it at a really bad angle and they are using a silk paint then the chances are it could look as bad after you do it again. Tight coat of joint cement as clemo says and just blame the sun.

I know some good plasterers who started using superflexes and got pulled on jobs for ripples that they never used to get, they are not as easy to use as a lot of folk think. I'm not saying they are a bad trowel but I stand by my original comment that if not used right they cause ripples.
I can only use them in the summer. I got pulled on a job last year. But a tub of joint filler got me out of a hole

But u will get a better finish with Joint filler then multi. This is the reason airless plaster was made
I dont know much about joint filler but to mrs smith who's going to be watching me like a hawk looks like im smashing loads of polyfilla on it and sanding it, a new skim looks like I made an effort

as to the original question anyone any ideas to what I done wrong that would have caused the waviness? Hit it to early, to thick, 1st coat to wet when putting second coat on?

I dont know much about joint filler but to mrs smith who's going to be watching me like a hawk looks like im smashing loads of polyfilla on it and sanding it, a new skim looks like I made an effort
Joint filler is plaster. Buy a tub get your hawk and trowel out and scrape it on. Run the trowel over it that's it. U are asking for trouble skimming it again. Plus the joint filler has a better finish....

I do as i find it gets my work flatter... because if you float a wall you wouldnt just darby it in one direction would you ?
When you wet trowel then would you go across a wall once up and down then once side to side as 1 wet trowel or do the first wet up and down then second wet across

Joint filler is plaster. Buy a tub get your hawk and trowel out and scrape it on. Run the trowel over it that's it. U are asking for trouble skimming it again. Plus the joint filler has a better finish....
how long till you can sand it back?

download (3).jpg

what were the walls like before you reskim them the background see I find you not to bad one coating on higher suction walls eg two tight coats

Use easi fill lodan will be a better job as Clem bob said its not about u showing to mrs smith ur making the effort u mite make it worse by re skimming it..go bk wen the same daylight is hitting the wall or ur pissing in the wind spend half hour make sure uve filled ur hollows then go bk nxt day to sand down or get some stuff that sets rapid and you can sand after a hour..its nowt to do really with experience etc daylight shined against a reskimmed plastered wall is any1s enemy and those who Say it isn't are lying..chin up and just keep doing wat ur doing..my guess tho is using the same gear is a big no no on reskims it looks shite wen its on plasterboard let alone re skim..mix separate batches I mean u shud have plenty of time pal on domestic

When you wet trowel then would you go across a wall once up and down then once side to side as 1 wet trowel or do the first wet up and down then second wet across
I dont really wet trowel unless the wall is pulling in.... once the wall has been flattened i cross trowel before every pass... only lightly... and with presure on my last pass..... i do go over my walls more than most on here....