Returns, thickness and flatness

Members online

LarryTheDecorator

Couple of things I'm struggling with (amongst everything else) is returning the trowel downward stroke (I keep getting it stuck as I bring it back) and the thickness of the plaster (was taught the whole pokey pokey thing), and getting it constantly flat across big areas for things like skirting boards (methinks black magic) are there any tips for someone incompetent, short and a bourbon lover like me?

All in the wrist action when I was learning my dad used to make me pretend on a dry wall for 20 mins I soon got the hang of that after the first time. It will come just relax the wrist on the way down try put the blade more open.

Couple of things I'm struggling with (amongst everything else) is returning the trowel downward stroke (I keep getting it stuck as I bring it back) and the thickness of the plaster (was taught the whole pokey pokey thing), and getting it constantly flat across big areas for things like skirting boards (methinks black magic) are there any tips for someone incompetent, short and a bourbon lover like me?
Are you staying you struggling with rolling the trowel in your hand?

The worst thing you can do it put it on thick. This leads to all sorts of problems. Ripples. First coat being wet under second. All sorts of shite.

Really thing first coat don’t worry if it pulls in fast as it will be so thin it has to be flat . Nice second coat and it should behave for you

Impossible to explain hand skills but when you come down can keep trowel still whilst rotating ur hand. Nope can’t explain it.

Ok best thing to do is avoid that until more confident. Do ups and do tops of wall last when gear bit stiffer for now

Dear Lord I so mis-read that, too long hanging out with undesirables

I generally keep my blade a finger width distance when trowling, with my speedksim I watched a video the other day and realised I was holding it too high up, that it should only be little finger width

All in the wrist action when I was learning my dad used to make me pretend on a dry wall for 20 mins I soon got the hang of that after the first time. It will come just relax the wrist on the way down try put the blade more open.

You've raised a really good point there, I was taught to put it on thick and then spread it about, this might explain all the problems I've been getting(?) how much of the trowel should I be putting mix on? I was taught put half on, but that seems quite a lot? (I use a 14" MT)

The worst thing you can do it put it on thick. This leads to all sorts of problems. Ripples. First coat being wet under second. All sorts of shite.

Really thing first coat don’t worry if it pulls in fast as it will be so thin it has to be flat . Nice second coat and it should behave for you

Impossible to explain hand skills but when you come down can keep trowel still whilst rotating ur hand. Nope can’t explain it.

Ok best thing to do is avoid that until more confident. Do ups and do tops of wall last when gear bit stiffer for now

My 'teacher' said avoid wooden handles as they split? My MT rubber one has seen better days since an incident with the pressure washer :censored:

Hate to say it but good advice there from @lurpack!

Also a wooden handle can help and relax your wrist dont grip it to hard!

In that case, yes!

When I trowel up I'm letting it feather in slightly, then when I twist back, boom, that sucker decides it wants to create a meringue mess

On the down sweep you change the position of your wrist into a downward position like a swan dipping its head down and your grip on the trowel changes ie the hand rolls round the handle to suit your wrist position.

My 'teacher' said avoid wooden handles as they split? My MT rubber one has seen better days since an incident with the pressure washer :censored:
Wooden handles get a good gloss on them smooth as you like. When they get to glossy just sand them down.

Thankyou Lurpy xx

Interesting I wasn't taught that way (going to give it a proper watch tomorrow), for some reason my plaster one minute is like a chocolate mouse on the wall, literally the next moment it's sucked right in, I never get any type of constant gradual suction inbetween to smooth it out

Trying to find some videos as impossible to explain but try this

I'll start saving up for one! I did have a refina, was awful I ended up throwing it away

Hopefully tomorrow I'll post an update of what my awful wall now looks like :coffe:

How much plastering as you actually doing, for gawd's sake?

Did your house fall down while you were inside or something?

Thankyou Lurpy xx

Interesting I wasn't taught that way (going to give it a proper watch tomorrow), for some reason my plaster one minute is like a chocolate mouse on the wall, literally the next moment it's sucked right in, I never get any type of constant gradual suction inbetween to smooth it out

Everyone has their own way I guess. When you start you face all kinds of problems and over-thinking stuff. After x years you develop your own way which might differ from what you was taught.. and at some point you are able to deal with any problem.

Putting on to thick is the worst thing you can do in my opinion.

It might feel like the next moments it's sucked in but you have time trust me, on the pics before you posted one saying you're leaving it but it was still workable, I could have finished that wall from where it was.

Just take your time,. thing first coat as neat as can but dont mess with it. mix up next one put it straight on this wil flatten first coat too. should have plenty of time now and if not use touch of water.

just north of Leighton Buzzard, between the outskirts of civilisation, farm land and the motorway, planning on moving up north early next year and becoming a small multi-tradesman, totally different compared to my old office job

Applied for over 200 jobs, not one came back to me, and to think people are constantly complaining they can't get the employees

Where do you live mate?

just north of Leighton Buzzard, between the outskirts of civilisation, farm land and the motorway, planning on moving up north early next year and becoming a small multi-tradesman, totally different compared to my old office job

Applied for over 200 jobs, not one came back to me, and to think people are constantly complaining they can't get the employees

Perhaps putting Strangeways on your CV isn't the best introduction?

@LarryTheLag how much work has trowel seen . The nella I got had a habbit of gripping wall when changing directions . Now I could prob flattened a good size wall with it without taking blade of wall . ......or is my hand that fast it tricks the eye

lol! I did actually put the Governors' names as references a few times, technically if you worked for HMP as I did in my area whilst inside, I am allowed to put down actually employed by the government, weird eh? Never heard anything like it before

Still, says a lot about our politicians

Perhaps putting Strangeways on your CV isn't the best introduction?

1,001 uses for a trowel, one of them not to be used as an implement in the head :confused:... one of the more interesting uses was as a screwdriver!

You would do well to spend an afternoon with a local lad off here.

Alot of things with plastering are better shown than described on paper.

Get too close and you end up putting your nose in it as I did a few times :risas:

I'm really thinking reading @lurpak post I'm putting it on way too thick to begin with, about 3/4 of my trowel is loaded with mix when I hit the wall (again, how we were taught)

@LarryTheLag how much work has trowel seen . The nella I got had a habbit of gripping wall when changing directions . Now I could prob flattened a good size wall with it without taking blade of wall . ......or is my hand that fast it tricks the eye