replicating wattle and daub effect

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

skimmin2day

Been to do a quote today on a 16th century cottage.
They have sections in between oak beams running of at funyy angles all over the place that are beond repair.
My thinking is to rip off the top coat of plaster about 10 -13mm and replace with a board by trying to screw through at an angle into the oak beams as ther is no other way of getting a FIXING??.
The customer wants the damaged panels to look the same as the other walls (very very uneven and ruff as fcuk ) as you can imagine in a building this age.
my thougths are to use bonding in certain areas to create bulges /high low areas then one thick coat of skim left ruff as fcuk no troweling nothing.

Whats your thoughts and ways around this guys????

if its listen then you might have to do it the same, i know when we did a listed building we had to use that shite with horse hair in, and the skimming was lime plaster i think? it came in buckets pre mixed

I had to do the same once steve. If you do go ahead with the board/bonding way you can mix a little finish in with the bonding a trowel it a bit can help get the aged effect.

Only grade 2 listed ,also customer wants quickest cheapest option as it will look the same after anyhow.
I should of mentioned its a oak timber framed cottage and the wall with problem panels is a primative stud wall with large oak pilars running through it.The wattle is about a foot thick.
I know i could eml it and plaster with lime,but the customer isnt bothered how i do it as long as i make it look the same as the undamaged areas.

From Wikipedia: Wattle and daub (or wattle-and-daub) is a building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw. Wattle and daub has been used for at least 6,000 years, and is still an important technique in many parts of the world. Many historic buildings include wattle and daub construction, and the technique is becoming popular again in more developed areas as a sustainable building technique.

Think its just known as lath and plaster (which was horsehair and lime and sand and cement plaster)

Wattle and daub is mud and sh1t (could be fun i suppose)

;D

Mate ive been in this game for 22 years .i Know wattle and daub when i see it trust me,its wattle and duab.You can see the hazel and straw and s**t through the cavitys

does it seem too obvious to just go and get a load of horse manure, mud and clay locally, knock that up, throw it on by hand, smooth it off by hand and get paid?
as in if thats what they want, give them what they want?
if some 6000 year old serf/neanderthal/cave man with 1 brain cell can do it it cant be that difficult surely?

Chris W said:
does it seem too obvious to just go and get a load of horse manure, mud and clay locally, knock that up, throw it on by hand, smooth it off by hand and get paid?
as in if thats what they want, give them what they want?
if some 6000 year old serf/neanderthal/cave man with 1 brain cell can do it it cant be that difficult surely?

I honestly don't remember doing that job Chris

skimmin2day said:
Mate ive been in this game for 22 years .i Know wattle and daub when i see it trust me,its wattle and duab.You can see the hazel and straw and (german word) through the cavitys

Where is it matey on the interior or exterior you're talking about or both?

Interiior......

Chris..now dowt i could do it if they really wanted me too with lime or s h i t and caly straw etc,but im thinking about boarding it and filling out with bonding to create bulges then quick rough skim over with one thick coat and collect me dosh.
These walls are so uneven to do it with lime would take forever,they must run out in places by a foot over a 2m high floor to ceiling.
Ive priced to do it on board now so,gotta hope it works out ok.

skimmin2day said:
Interiior......

Chris..now dowt i could do it if they really wanted me too with lime or s h i t and caly straw etc,but im thinking about boarding it and filling out with bonding to create bulges then quick rough skim over with one thick coat and collect me dosh.
These walls are so uneven to do it with lime would take forever,they must run out in places by a foot over a 2m high floor to ceiling.
Ive priced to do it on board now so,gotta hope it works out ok.

Get your labourer to do it in bonding it'll prob look the same. Or if your labourer is clued up on the tools you can borrow my labourer. Last time i let him have a turn it looked like he used his shoe ;D

I done it today with board bonding skim like i said.Well impressed looks rough as f u ck just how she wanted it!!!
Seriously it turned out really well much much better than i expected it would.
Goto go back and paint it monday morning,white walls and the beams black

skimmin2day said:
I done it today with board bonding skim like i said.Well impressed looks rough as f u ck just how she wanted it!!!
Seriously it turned out really well much much better than i expected it would.
Goto go back and paint it monday morning,white walls and the beams black

happy days matey. glad it never came to slinging poo about :p

skimmin2day said:
Been to do a quote today on a 16th century cottage.
They have sections in between oak beams running of at funyy angles all over the place that are beond repair.
My thinking is to rip off the top coat of plaster about 10 -13mm and replace with a board by trying to screw through at an angle into the oak beams as ther is no other way of getting a FIXING??.
The customer wants the damaged panels to look the same as the other walls (very very uneven and ruff as fcuk ) as you can imagine in a building this age.
my thougths are to use bonding in certain areas to create bulges /high low areas then one thick coat of skim left ruff as fcuk no troweling nothing.

Whats your thoughts and ways around this guys????
should be careful with the old listed stuff......but get customer to sign disclaimer so u dont get done if the busy bodies see it.......but can use universal one coat..then sponge it several times.....makes it look like wattle & daub finish...but dont trowel it up leave it sponged......can get a fair match

Status
Not open for further replies.