Replastering a 3 Bed Semi -first time buyer

bd1777

Hi All - very interesting and useful discussions on here. We have recently finalised the purchase of a 3 bed semi. The house was build likely around 1904, last major renovation being in the 1970s, and the kitchen updated in 2009. We are thinking that it is probably wise to do a replaster of the house for several reasons. First, we are likely doing a rewire, so we'll need plasterwork done. Second, our damp survey found some areas that sound like blown plaster. Third, it is unclear whether there is lime plaster in all the rooms, and being a solid wall construction that needs to breathe, it would be best to make sure it is. Finally, some ceilings need some TLC (a couple of pictures attached). Our building survey indicated the ceilings are a mix of lath and plaster and boarding. Some areas, it would be nice if the lath could be repaired to replace boards that look out of place. We like the look of lath, but almost certainly boarding will be more straightforward.

A couple of questions - would it be smart to have a plasterer remove all the plaster, then have the rewire done, followed by the plasterer coming back in to replaster everything? Would it be best to have a builder come in to tend to things like the ceilings while the plaster is off? I'm happy to do some DIY, but repairing a lath ceiling isn't something I've done before and I'm not under the illusion that I'm a master of DIY. How much of a pain would it be to replaster the lath? We won't be moved in yet, so if it's going to get done, it is the time to do it. Or do we give in and board with breathable boards? I know that last one is an opinion, but glad to get some who don't necessarily have a vested interest.

I've attached some pictures, and also a floor plan. It's not everything, but gives a general sense of the condition, which is probably about what you'd expect from a 1970s renovation. I know this is woefully inadequate to come up with a reasonable quote for what it would cost, but I'm more trying to ballpark things to have a reasonable estimate for the extent of what we will get done in the first wave before moving in. We're scheduling a few visits for quotes, but would like some unbiased thoughts too, if possible, on what might be reasonable strategies. As a note, all textured ceilings/walls have been confirmed as not containing asbestos. Many thanks for making it this far and any insights you may have!

Attachments

• floorplan.png
    floorplan.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 224
  • bd ceiling.png
    bd ceiling.png
    495.1 KB · Views: 211
  • hall ceiling.png
    hall ceiling.png
    2 MB · Views: 206
If your not living in the house at the moment and it's empty my advice would be to completely gut it get all the plaster off rip the lath and plaster ceilings down eventually over time they will lose there bond so saves ripping them down in the future get sparky out to rewire then the plasterer in to do the rest dont do it arse backwards like most people

Time, money, hidden problems and evolution usually are constraints on such decisions
If you can afford it financially (money) and do not need to move in (time) then get all those things done. Rip out ceilings and any obviously blown walls then get re wire done then get reputable plasterer in by which point you will have found some hidden problems and made different decisions (evolution)

Thanks - leaning towards getting the lath and plaster taken out for that reason. Since it is a mix, might as well just make it easy for the future. And, of course, I've always wanted to rip out a lath and plaster ceiling. Seems like about as fun of a job as there can be. I'm sure we'll uncover some things that need to be addressed, but that's why I'm thinking we just won't be able to replace a conservatory that needs it because we will end up fixing unknown things in the main house. The damp survey suggested there were some leaks in central heating pipes in the past, so I'm pretty much assuming that some joists may need replacing. May be that we can get by just fixing chases from the rewire in some areas, but other rooms should be stripped and replastered. We're outside Portsmouth a little way.

Thanks - leaning towards getting the lath and plaster taken out for that reason. Since it is a mix, might as well just make it easy for the future. And, of course, I've always wanted to rip out a lath and plaster ceiling. Seems like about as fun of a job as there can be. I'm sure we'll uncover some things that need to be addressed, but that's why I'm thinking we just won't be able to replace a conservatory that needs it because we will end up fixing unknown things in the main house. The damp survey suggested there were some leaks in central heating pipes in the past, so I'm pretty much assuming that some joists may need replacing. May be that we can get by just fixing chases from the rewire in some areas, but other rooms should be stripped and replastered. We're outside Portsmouth a little way.
@Dansouthcoast84

are you looking to replaster in lime?

i dont really see the need to keep laths to be honest.. i would personally use plasterboard as ceilings dont need to breathe.

we are based in Portsmouth if you require a quote..

www.ejlplastering.com

thanks @bof for mention

Just be careful when ripping down old ceilings! Last time I did one I had a pair of knickers and a brick fall on my head lol