Repairing the exterior of a Victorian property with brick walls

MatthewNorton

Hello, I am new to this forum. Recently, I bought my first house near Southport. It is an end terraced Victorian property with the typical solid (and non-insulated) walls.

The inside plastering is of very poor quality and will need to be redone. The outside renders appear to be made with standard cement-based render.

Do I need to be cautious when using lime plaster on the inside of external walls, so as to allow 'breathability'? Should I also take off any external renderings to stop any damage?

I am confused because some people have recommended that I use breathable insulation externally and lime-based materials both inside and out. Others say that 'breathability' is exaggerated and gypsum-based plaster would be fine to use as long as the wall has no underlying damp issues. If anyone has experience with unlisted properties, please share your story.

Thank you

Hello, I am new to this forum. Recently, I bought my first house near Southport. It is an end terraced Victorian property with the typical solid (and non-insulated) walls.

The inside plastering is of very poor quality and will need to be redone. The outside renders appear to be made with standard cement-based render.

Do I need to be cautious when using lime plaster on the inside of external walls, so as to allow 'breathability'? Should I also take off any external renderings to stop any damage?

I am confused because some people have recommended that I use breathable insulation externally and lime-based materials both inside and out. Others say that 'breathability' is exaggerated and gypsum-based plaster would be fine to use as long as the wall has no underlying damp issues. If anyone has experience with unlisted properties, please share your story.

Thank you
Some people get their (interior) external walls taken back to brick and use thermal board. Good way to insulate and often solves any damp problems caused by condensation.

Gypsum plaster is fine so long as there is no damp, the house is warm and there’s ventilation. Gypsum otherwise acts as a sponge

Lime plaster or renovation plasters are great for breathability and breathability can’t be underrated! Renovation plasters usually have thermal qualities to them also. If there’s s/c render to the house though I don’t see much point in using these

It’s always great to take off s/c render in my opinion but this is costly as you will likely need repointing, bricks replacing, everything cleaned up etc

Some people get their (interior) external walls taken back to brick and use thermal board. Good way to insulate and often solves any damp problems caused by condensation.

Gypsum plaster is fine so long as there is no damp, the house is warm and there’s ventilation. Gypsum otherwise acts as a sponge

Lime plaster or renovation plasters are great for breathability and breathability can’t be underrated! Renovation plasters usually have thermal qualities to them also. If there’s s/c render to the house though I don’t see much point in using these

It’s always great to take off s/c render in my opinion but this is costly as you will likely need repointing, bricks replacing, everything cleaned up etc
And exactly how would you suggest that the thermal boards be fixed to an exterior solid brick wall?

Sorry I thought I was talking to Jess, not @ChrispyUK or a lower primate. :risas2:
We are the same three accounts
james mcavoy no GIF by TV4

Thank you
No need for lime unless you’ve got a damp issue, by the way gypsum is breathable but not good when you’ve got damp.