Repairing plastered exterior wall around a window

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstout84

Hi all,
I was taking down the 17 layers of wallpaper in my 1920s brick house to paint the kitchen when I realized there was a reason they kept wallpapering this part of the kitchen. The plaster around the window edge was in terrible shape! It appears the window was built with a wooden frame and they plastered right up to the frame, directly from the brick (no lathe of any kind). I've attached a picture and wanted some advice on whether or not my repair concept would work. I was thinking of cleaning out the loose pieces, wetting down to the brick, structo-lite up to the frame, then finish coat on top all the way to the trim, then paint that once the wallpaper is all removed. A friend said an easier fix would be to just fill in and sand joint compound. Any other suggestions? Appreciate the help!
Best,
Dan

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 274
Is there room to e m l over the timber part making sure it over laps the brick work by fifty mm at least, what thickness have you got over the timber.

Is there room to e m l over the timber part making sure it over laps the brick work by fifty mm at least, what thickness have you got over the timber.
There is room with sufficient overlap. The thickness over the timber is nearly 1 centimeter exactly. Never thought of using EML, might be worth a look.

You will need EML over the timber, to provide a key for the new plaster, also to stop cracking, as the timber and brickwork will all move about at different rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.