Rending a round bay window

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty19

Hi all i need some advice on a bay to be re rendered.The rendering was loose and cracked just on the bay so i removed all the render to reveal a black corrugated plastic sheet with a sand surface,i think it was designed for the job to render on,but it hasnt worked,but it might have been on for years.Does anyone know of this material ?
upload_2015-8-10_18-26-47.jpeg

it looks like newtonite lath used mainly for damproofing --- if it is, it will have dovetailed corrugations --

there is updated version called new-lath, plastic with scrim like messing as a key

it looks like newtonite lath used mainly for damproofing --- if it is, it will have dovetailed corrugations --

there is updated version called new-lath, plastic with scrim like messing as a key

Spot on fella. Newtonite lath old school tanking/damproofing.

Strip it off and see what's behind. If it's just brick render as normal.

Av never seen oot like that before..... lol
do they normally have timber studs behind them ?
Might be easier to bank some render boards on a thin coat it ??

Spot on fella. Newtonite lath old school tanking/damproofing.

Strip it off and see what's behind. If it's just brick render as normal.

hi carlos
worked on newtonite lath when i was an apprentice in the early eighties ---- tanking cellars, we also used synthaprufe a tar like substance which you painted on

Av never seen oot like that before..... lol
do they normally have timber studs behind them ?
Might be easier to bank some render boards on a thin coat it ??

hi arti you could nail / screw through metal fixing bands straight onto brickwork or to timber studs treated

Its not meant for rendering on tho is it ?

Hi all i need some advice on a bay to be re rendered.The rendering was loose and cracked just on the bay so i removed all the render to reveal a black corrugated plastic sheet with a sand surface,i think it was designed for the job to render on,but it hasnt worked,but it might have been on for years.Does anyone know of this material ?View attachment 6533
Im going to remove the black sheets,now i know what they are.What the best materials to use to create a round bay to render on then pebble dash.Their is some stud work behind the sheets,but by using the same stud work the round bay would become more square.So advice please on what boards to use and how to keep it round.

Im going to remove the black sheets,now i know what they are.What the best materials to use to create a round bay to render on then pebble dash.Their is some stud work behind the sheets,but by using the same stud work the round bay would become more square.So advice please on what boards to use and how to keep it round.
were do you get the render boards from ?

Its not meant for rendering on tho is it ?
Yes,this was used as a form of tanking years ago, not as effective as the membranes of today, you should rip it off then apply a membrane then ribbed eml then re render, check if timbers are rotten etc etc

Sorry Guys - I have been very busy and not made it on for a few days....

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior - a board for directly applied render - can also be easily curved to make a smooth cure to render onto without facets. If there is timber framework behind, strip back to this, apply a breather membrane and then screw fix the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior back to the studwork. Then apply a basecoat and mesh and finish.

I am sure you have already used EML for this example, but for future reference, the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior will be easier, faster and create a smooth sub-straight for the render.

Good Luck

we use knauf aquapanel on a flat surface, but how to you cut this board to flex enough to fit a bay window?
or is this just a high pressure salesman talk
Sorry Guys - I have been very busy and not made it on for a few days....

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior - a board for directly applied render - can also be easily curved to make a smooth cure to render onto without facets. If there is timber framework behind, strip back to this, apply a breather membrane and then screw fix the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior back to the studwork. Then apply a basecoat and mesh and finish.

I am sure you have already used EML for this example, but for future reference, the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior will be easier, faster and create a smooth sub-straight for the render.

Good Luck

we use knauf aquapanel on a flat surface but it is not flexible enough to fit a bay window, or is this just another high pressure salesman?
why does knauf aquapanel have more suction then other cement boards?

we use knauf aquapanel on a flat surface, but how to you cut this board to flex enough to fit a bay window?
or is this just a high pressure salesman talk

we use knauf aquapanel on a flat surface but it is not flexible enough to fit a bay window, or is this just another high pressure salesman?
why does knauf aquapanel have more suction then other cement boards?

Hi Malc

Knauf Aquapanel will curve itself if you get the big boards and pick up from the narrow end.... or hit the board and flex it to break the bond of the core of the board. The mesh will hold it together and when fixed to suit the curve it will stay in that shape.

Do not score the face to create the curve, it will just snap.

A full width 900mm board will curve to a 3 mtr radius, cut it to 300mm strips and it will curve down to a 1 mtr radius.

Knauf Aquapanel has no organic content, so the basecoat will have a high initial suction. There is no need to prime the board to kill the suction, this creates the strong bond between the render and board. Once the initial suction has taken, the basecoat will hang to allow it to be worked as normal, giving time to apply the mesh and work... but it will be quicker than on insulation and other denser boards.....

Fell free to give me a shout to discuss anything further.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Malc

Knauf Aquapanel will curve itself if you get the big boards and pick up from the narrow end.... or hit the board and flex it to break the bond of the core of the board. The mesh will hold it together and when fixed to suit the curve it will stay in that shape.

Do not score the face to create the curve, it will just snap.

A full width 900mm board will curve to a 3 mtr radius, cut it to 300mm strips and it will curve down to a 1 mtr radius.

Knauf Aquapanel has no organic content, so the basecoat will have a high initial suction. There is no need to prime the board to kill the suction, this creates the strong bond between the render and board. Once the initial suction has taken, the basecoat will hang to allow it to be worked as normal, giving time to apply the mesh and work... but it will be quicker than on insulation and other denser boards.....

Fell free to give me a shout to discuss anything further.

Cheers

Richard

we have only purchased the 1200x 1200 boards as that is what we have been offered the best quote on.

Status
Not open for further replies.