Rendering Over Painted Pebbledash

Status
Not open for further replies.

huddsspread

Afternoon boys. I've just looked at a job and need your advice. Luckily enough in my life i haven't had to get over too many problems in rendering, so this is a first for me.

The whole gable of this house is painted pebble dash, and is as hard as nails. The front is just normal painted sand and cement with a block work pattern in it....

They what it all rendered flat ( sand and cement ), but im a bit stuck of what is the best way to go.

Rendering over normal pebble dash is fine, but this is painted white. And i really don't want to be removing it, as i said it is REALLY solid.

I've read that you can launch sbr slurry or something like that over it, and then my scratch will stick like s~~t. But in the end the only thing the render will be stuck too is the paint. So your ideas and opinions please. If i've got no other option than hacking it off, then so be it.

Thanks in advance.

Contacted a few suppliers (inc. K-Rend) and you have to put a scratch coat on then push mesh into it followed by fixings into the background block/brick. No one will guarantee render onto paint. We looked into rendering and tyreoleneing a house that had been painted (to match he extention to the original house) but it was painted. Other option is to remove the paint.

What about Soverein Plas Prime 'X' ? I would still bed mesh in though and pin it back. The paint will need a washing down nothing sticks to muck.

I was thinking of EML, at least its got something to grip hold off. Still keep reading about sbr/sand/cement slurry...and people are saying it goes rock hard and sticks too anything. Don't know if id trust it though, 18 months down the line? Still aint decided what to do....i was even thinking of getting some kind of head for my grinder and sanding it off..As i said the dash is as hard as granite!

Can't you jet wash the paint then any thing that's loose will come away, once dry sbr slurry ,EML then coat as normal.

the paint isn't flaky, i need 50 odd sheets of lathe and thats about £1000 on top of the price. if i could spend a few days and get the paint off, i'd rather do that.

scabbler or use a needle gun , but this would take ages, will it not just hack-off with a breaker ? or paint remover ,i think i would go for mechanical fix with EML ! tricky one ,let us know what you do please ?

If the paint is stuck well on the pebbledash I'd render straight on to the dash. It's a mechanical key not a chemical one

ive looked at that stuff ( parex ) Maybe an option....As i've never used SBR before, apart from using it from a bag to paint on this basement, as thats what someone asked me to do. I've been reading about bond it SBR. Maybe, if the paint is hard as nails too, i could paint a SBR bond/cement slurry all over, and let it dry. Then scratch it with 5 litres of SBR to every 25kg of cement ( will be a lot of SBR though!! ) in the mix. Then rub it up with sand/cement? Again never used sbr so your thoughts on it please. Ill be needing about 35 tubs of the stuff. Still not convinced about slurrying over paint though....thanks for everyones input.

Sbr. slurry is good,but it will only be as good as the bond of the paint? So its your call as to how well the paint is adhered. to the dash/render..Imso.:RpS_thumbup:

ive looked at that stuff ( parex ) Maybe an option....As i've never used SBR before, apart from using it from a bag to paint on this basement, as thats what someone asked me to do. I've been reading about bond it SBR. Maybe, if the paint is hard as nails too, i could paint a SBR bond/cement slurry all over, and let it dry. Then scratch it with 5 litres of SBR to every 25kg of cement ( will be a lot of SBR though!! ) in the mix. Then rub it up with sand/cement? Again never used sbr so your thoughts on it please. Ill be needing about 35 tubs of the stuff. Still not convinced about slurrying over paint though....thanks for everyones input.

if you put a sbr slurry on it needs to be wet when you put the scratch on. Plast Prime X might be worthwhile if you want to put scratch on a dry bonding agent. Sbr goes a long way.

if you put a sbr slurry on it needs to be wet when you put the scratch on. Plast Prime X might be worthwhile if you want to put scratch on a dry bonding agent. Sbr goes a long way.

Who's that made by mate? I've tried Google but drew a blank.

look at Parinter from parex as mentioned - its a lime based renovating thin coat mortar and can be used on SOUND painted substrate. you can lay it thick enough to rub it up also and I personally think a sponge finish looks the nuts due to the aggies in it

look at Parinter from parex as mentioned - its a lime based renovating thin coat mortar and can be used on SOUND painted substrate. you can lay it thick enough to rub it up also and I personally think a sponge finish looks the nuts due to the aggies in it

Would you just put on one thickish coat and then rub up John or two passes?

two passes mate fill out to the stones first bed the mesh then pass againjust enough to completely cover any stones/bumps and spatch up nice. the sponge finish looks good like a 1mm sand in it but there spaced out like if that makes sense, or he can texture over it with colour

Status
Not open for further replies.