Rendering over paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olican

Private Member
:-0 I thought I would give my 10pence worth of opinion to this delicate subject and open myself up to a little bit of abuse. :rolleyes)

We all know that since the recession domestic rendering has become more competitive and people are totally unaware of the cost implications of hack off and re-render. I think we would all agree that, just with internals, the best route is hack off and treat as new. Yet a lot of us make a chunk of our income from overskims and making good.
Which leads us to the touchy subject of rendering over paint. The general principal is that the bond is only as good as that between the paint and the wall. Hacking off can sometimes cause more damage than good , especially around windows. I must have priced 10 decent hack off jobs last year that I see now still havent been done because the client didnt realise the cost of skips, hacking, bonding etc made it quite a costly job.

I went to look at a job I rendered over paint nearly 10 years ago (I know thats not long in rendering terms) and it is still solid and looks a quality finish. I still use the same process today and never have any comebacks.

This is how we saw the job, the render was solid and I thought hacking off that pillar between the windows would open a can of worms

No loose paint so chipped away with the back of my axe hammer to make sure then with a roller applied SBR slurry leaving a stipple

As the SBR Darkens and begins to set scratch with a tight coat. Must go on wet on wet.

A week later topcoat as normal

Going back in a couple of weeks to price up some more work, will take some pics of the final finish.

See what you are saying Oli , but the customer never wants to spend money ,but when it all goes tits ,they forget that ,imo

True very true, It can fail, the same way that skimming over old walls can fail. I respect John and Keith, I posted this knowing it would divide opinion.

Hack off all day long either the customer pays for a good job or you do later! Taking a big chance on the paint having a good bond to the wall, you could also fix rib lath or mesh to the wall to save hacking off if applicable still can be costly tho.

The overall problem with render going over existing render using sand cement IMO your asking for trouble, due to the risk of delaminating. 1 from the existing substrate and 2 from the paint. That is what thin coat systems are about. It's 2014 lads there are other options to use such as base coats such as sm 700 or parinter that are designed to go over painted substrates, as long as the renders sound. If not walk away, why put your reputation on the line, there's other work Round the corner.

Got one to do that views today.

Its sound painted brick.

We will either parinter/hpx with mesh and pin through into the substrate. If budget allows we will also rake mortar joints for mechanical and suction grab horizontally.

If they can't afford this then we will walk away.

Some chancers round the north west are going direct over with krend promoting it as some modern polymer goes over anything synthetic render product.......:eek:

The probably not crooks they probs just don't know themselves as many out there who have access to it through builders merchant.

I have also just priced a failed weber job. Can't knock the chancers really they keep me in work putting their cok ups right ha:D

got to feel for the customer though when it fails.saying that I try to explain the best way to them so they know the right way to do it and most don't listen anyway!!!

True very true, It can fail, the same way that skimming over old walls can fail. I respect John and Keith, I posted this knowing it would divide opinion.
Your post is good mate , not having a go at you :RpS_blushing:, and what you have done looks great ,just saying some people are on a budget and we are put into the position that we have to accommodate that , but if it is at their risk ,that,s ok

Your post is good mate , not having a go at you :RpS_blushing:, and what you have done looks great ,just saying some people are on a budget and we are put into the position that we have to accommodate that , but if it is at their risk ,that,s ok

Cheers Keith, I put my chin out on this one so had to expect some flack :RpS_unsure: Its the external equivalent to over skimming an existing wall, and I agree parinter and a thincoat system may well carry a guarantee but I stand by my work and I will eat my hat if those walls fail. Admittedly they may only last 15-20 years but to this client that was sufficient

I hate using SBR slurry...so messy, horrible to mix up and apply, always find it goes off at different speeds on the wall and have to go over it again.

Have you tried Rend Aid Oli?

I hate using SBR slurry...so messy, horrible to mix up and apply, always find it goes off at different speeds on the wall and have to go over it again.

Have you tried Rend Aid Oli?

Yes bud, used it on a lot of krend projects. Your right SBR slurry is horrible to use but does the job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.