Rendering over old chimney render

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmonkey

I have two chimneys to repair/render.When i went to see the job i had to estimate from the ground as the roof is diminishing course delabole and customer didn't want roof ladders on it.I have now got a full saddle scaffold and have had a good look at it.It appears the render has blown just above the top of the lead flashings(no belcast) but everywhere else it is as hard as a dogs head.My question is,would it work if i was to hack off the loose and cracked render,fix belcast to the perimeter,patch repair the render and let set,then SBR or similar the whole chimney and re-render over the top.The original has been hand scat by the looks of it,so there is a good key.The dimensions are 3mx1.5mx600mm so it is fairly large.Cheers

Whats the point in doing it that way? just as fast to Knock off all of the Render, fix bellcast and scratch in one day (use waterproofer) and go back week later and render! Is it leaking in under soakers or anywear else? Also while your ther check the flaunching isn't cracked as that causes damp to the breast internally.

Removing all the flaunching and replacing and the pots.The old render is proper solid, laid on over brickwork.Soakers were replaced when the roof was re-done (were cut into the render but not the brick so it leaks down between the old render and brickwork).I dont want give the brickwork to much of a beating if i can avoid it.Just wanted to know if it was possible to over-coat.

if you render over rubbed up render it WILL blow. sbr wont help. Either patch up with bellcast or hack off all an re render

If the render is on that tough you will knock the chimney to bits trying to get it of, it may be if the render was not put on when the house was built but at a later date that is all that is holding it together, sometimes better to pull it down and rebuild it.
Lucius.

;D ;D ;D.............f**k off youre walls blown love im afraid im going to have to knock youre house down and rebuild it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

never heard of rend aid but rendering over un keyed render (plus f all suction) is a no-no. Could give em a 6 month guarantee tho ;D

spunky said:
if its unpainted go for it if its painted youll need mesh mate
Yeah,its unpainted.Hand scat as well so i thought it would have fairly good key.Think a bit extreme to demolish chimney.Looked at the Rend-aid website and they say it can be used on un-painted render but could do with some input from you guys as want to get this right.

Ha Ha Spunky but i know you know what i mean knocking render of a house wall the weight of the roof holds the wall there , old chimney beaten by the weather and smoke residue will just fall down. Used to rebuild loads in the good old grant days in face brick most could be pulled down in a day and rebuilt with 2 men so not much dearer than prepping and rendering.
Lucius.

ffs sake patch it ;D..........failing that rendaid should stick to unpainted surfaces with no key .............if it does have a key like a splatter dash wet it down and use a 6-1-1 scratch and a 8-2-1 top coat

just did a job exactly the same as this... sbr and cement powder slurry rollerd onto the old render and scratch over with a 4.1 waterproofed mix...go over the slurry b4 it dries tho ( within 15 mins )... leave a few days then topcoat with 5.1.1 and plasticiser .. holds like s**t to a blanket!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.