Rendering on to old substrate

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajdbuild

Hi guys ,I'm starting s+c moz on a house that's old shitty render that's all sound so I've render gripped it today was gona do 5.1 very little waterproof and bed fibre glass mesh in scratch then leave to dry fully out and top with a 6.1.1 lime with half rapid cement and half normal and just feb and no waterproof in the top because its cold as **** now and not bother wetting the panel down .ive been caught out a few times and dont wana be there in the dark .Any other suggestions ? Thanks :RpS_biggrin:

Hi guys ,I'm starting s+c moz on a house that's old shitty render that's all sound so I've render gripped it today was gona do 5.1 very little waterproof and bed fibre glass mesh in scratch then leave to dry fully out and top with a 6.1.1 lime with half rapid cement and half normal and just feb and no waterproof in the top because its cold as **** now and not bother wetting the panel down .ive been caught out a few times and dont wana be there in the dark .Any other suggestions ? Thanks :RpS_biggrin:
I know what you mean,ive been there too a few years ago now it can be hard to judge due to how unpredictable the weather can be.i did one 3 weeks ago a little less waterproofer than normal in the scratch then i did dampen it before i did the top coat and got that fine by 4pm,i have one this week too will put even less waterproofer in however it is only a small panel so will get it early and will have pleanty of time to pull in.

Crap init .i was rendring last week and layed on by 9 am didn't wet the panel down came til 4pm there 1 area not pulling in still ...so I went and grabbed the foreman and showed him and see what am I ment to do with that .puts me off in the winter

As john said use frost proof.also leave render open so the air can get to it

Will frost proofer not react with the fast setting cement at ? Gona use it the scratch today cos its gonna be cold as fook tonight .would u say my mix ratio is about right?

I would go for fibres in the scratch instead of mesh it's a swine to bed into normal sand an cement its designed for base coats really which is softer material allowing to be pushed through

I would go for fibres in the scratch instead of mesh it's a swine to bed into normal sand an cement its designed for base coats really which is softer material allowing to be pushed through

Yeh it is a swine ,hard work aswell fibres would be well easier but I always think that if it blows in a area then it won't fall off because its all tied together by 6 inch over laps . Orrrr will fibres do the same job ?? All I want is it not to crack and stick . Every time I've top coated the day after Ive scratched it always goes in mint better than leaving it dry out .

Do u think 6.1.1 is fine for a top coat mix .normally do 4.1 scratch 5.1 and little bit of lime on block .but this is old render so don't wana go to strong .but don't wana do 6.1.1 and its soft on the wall when cured .

Can't you use weber ocr that's a 6-1-1 mix you would stand more chance pushing the mesh through the first pass or rend aid if needed

Can't you use weber ocr that's a 6-1-1 mix you would stand more chance pushing the mesh through the first pass or rend aid if needed

nah gotta use sand and cement cheap materials ain't it ,I don't mind doing it tho .
sweet il do that top coat then . Still learning everyday been rendering for 8 years never thought about winter rendering and products to help it go off quicker just always got it on early and got on with and just moaned all the time .if renders still wet and you got sponge skills u can sort it out

It's seem stronger than that tbh.try breaking it when it's gone off its solid.
I thought some one said a while back it's 4/1/1

Why not do a SBR scratch over it ?

I have gone over solid render on stacks with a SBR scratch first and it sticks like sh*t.

If you take of the Loose boxy render and fill it out then it should be fine.

Done a few old metal lintels that way with expanded and it does stick well

Status
Not open for further replies.