Rendering Mix on timber frame house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matkat

Hi

We are building a house with timber frame and outer layer of brick plinth with rendered blockwork (medium density). We are having a traditional sand and cement render. Should the render mix be different due to the fact that it is tied to a timber frame? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

The timber frame will have no impact, only the substrate has,I expect a scratch coat of five to one ,sand to cement with waterproofer and fibres in the mix is the way to go, you could add render mesh throughout in the scratch for belt and braces, keep the scratch damp ish for a week before applying the second coat, a mix of sand cement lime at 6/1/1. With fibres is the way I would go...

If you are having blockwork anyway why use timber frame in the first place instead of from block ?
I know of lots who have gone back to traditional build cos it don't take that much longer and in most cases i know off it has worked out costing a little less than the timber frame !

I know of lots who have gone back to traditional build cos it don't take that much longer and in most cases i know off it has worked out costing a little less than the timber frame !
Traditional is much better, much more solid, timber frame ,ten yr guarantee for your home... Crazy ****

why put fibres in topcoat john? you would`nt get as good of finish surely.i`ve tried b4 and it was`nt great(internal)

I always use fibres in the top coat bobby and without close inspection you'd never know they were there.

What size fibres do you put in top coat? Want to give it a try but worried it will show to much.

The one we use at the moment are either 6 or 12mm long but in the past I had a supplier whose fibres were about 30mm long. All these fibres are finer than a human hair and as long as they're mixed in properly you just don't know they're there.
I have heard of horror stories involving fibres but God knows what they'd done to make a render look "hairy" as one owner put it.

if you look in most EWI polymer base coats and the bucket texture coats you will see the fibres in there too on the texture you can see them hanging off the edge of your trowel.

Krend had a good one coat render base UF base and a UF fibre base with the fibres in the second version not sure if still available

Status
Not open for further replies.