rendering lost days

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
How do you lads who do rendering build into your working week lost time with weather. This week I have lost two days already I mean to say you cannot build lost days into your price let alone losing days which in turn makes you run late on other jobs.

Thats the way it is Henry my main background is bricklaying but i gave up the site work years ago with rain and frost at the end of the day if your work is always outside you cant afford to work cheap and you have to look at what you have earnt over 12 months.

We try not to do Mono in the winter months any more ,but last year booked one in in July and lost 2 weeks due to rain ! i love the uk !

This is why renderers should be earning good money ........ But were in a recession innit

make sure that you have some inside work to fall back on thats how a plasterer has an advantage over skimmers and renderers
learn the trade

make sure that you have some inside work to fall back on thats how a plasterer has an advantage over skimmers and renderers
learn the trade

He has learnt the trade, have you?

Is someone who mostly concentrates on rendering not a plasterer?

My trade is as a plasterer but I hated the job as a business but liked rendering. The trouble with being a plasterer/renderer is you get offered plastering at the time of year you don't want it. Turn it down and that customer will not ring you in winter when you do want it. Besides, when I was plastering the brickies stopping laying at the beginning of winter and by January I was always short of work until the end of March.

All outdoor workers should get good money to cover the void periods but it will never happen. Desperate competition will always work for bare minimum in the low season. My workers would be a waste of time anyway paying good money. They live from pay packet to pay packet and are mega skint in winter. often in debt.

It's a case of grafting when you can to save for a rainy day!

My trade is as a plasterer but I hated the job as a business but liked rendering. The trouble with being a plasterer/renderer is you get offered plastering at the time of year you don't want it. Turn it down and that customer will not ring you in winter when you do want it. Besides, when I was plastering the brickies stopping laying at the beginning of winter and by January I was always short of work until the end of March.

All outdoor workers should get good money to cover the void periods but it will never happen. Desperate competition will always work for bare minimum in the low season. My workers would be a waste of time anyway paying good money. They live from pay packet to pay packet and are mega skint in winter. often in debt.

It's a case of grafting when you can to save for a rainy day!

similiar situation,
and i know of lads that render in winter for a pay cheque even in cold temps,crazy. we give plastering away in summer but it never comes in winter.

i have been off since november havent struck a bat, i have got about 8k worth of work booked in to start as soon as it stops raining which i could have started 2 weeks ago... im seriously thinking of chucking it in and concentrating on the training school full time or selling up and going back to spain

well i think its just down to us all earning those footballers wages. i dont need to work, i just do it because i enjoy it

i have been off since november havent struck a bat, i have got about 8k worth of work booked in to start as soon as it stops raining which i could have started 2 weeks ago... im seriously thinking of chucking it in and concentrating on the training school full time or selling up and going back to spain
Are you seriously saying you havent worked for 5 months in that case you might as well be in Spain.

Are you seriously saying you havent worked for 5 months in that case you might as well be in Spain.

Havent struck a bat mate priced bloody loads and loads and its still coming in to price just got a 1200 m2 eifs job on south coast to price a dryvit rail system 120mm eps the bloody villa in spain has crippled my savings now it cost me nearly €1800 a month for it to stand empty, so im seriously thinking of selling my place in the UK i could raise about £150k and just go back to spain and commute to work as i never really get work around the doors and am always in digs, its also only about £90 return from alicante to gatwick and the training centre is in uckfield 15 miles away, it costs £180 in fuel to drive there and back from my place... decisions decisions

Yeah mate know what you mean ive got my place out there costing me money, just do the figurers and try and make the right decision though i would never recomend selling right up think about selling your place and maybe buy a one bed flat near the centre it will be an investment and if Spain goes tits up you still have a place in Blighty, i made that mistake and its fcuked me right up.

i just do not get why a plasterer would want to stay outside on rendering all the time. we have got 2 rendering jobs at the moment at a stand still .so we go inside and catch up on dot and dab and skimming and floorscreeding.
i would never render the outside and not have the internal to plaster, on site work
when we do thincoat render for the councils, the block of flats will have a scaffold roof on it and mesh all down the sides and the job does not stop, through rain only when freezing temps..

Havent struck a bat mate priced bloody loads and loads and its still coming in to price just got a 1200 m2 eifs job on south coast to price a dryvit rail system 120mm eps the bloody villa in spain has crippled my savings now it cost me nearly €1800 a month for it to stand empty, so im seriously thinking of selling my place in the UK i could raise about £150k and just go back to spain and commute to work as i never really get work around the doors and am always in digs, its also only about £90 return from alicante to gatwick and the training centre is in uckfield 15 miles away, it costs £180 in fuel to drive there and back from my place... decisions decisions

id be off to be honest with you, looking at your circumstances.

i just do not get why a plasterer would want to stay outside on rendering all the time. we have got 2 rendering jobs at the moment at a stand still .so we go inside and catch up on dot and dab and skimming and floorscreeding.
i would never render the outside and not have the internal to plaster, on site work
when we do thincoat render for the councils, the block of flats will have a scaffold roof on it and mesh all down the sides and the job does not stop, through rain only when freezing temps..

because plastering on site pays a pitance
and we are RENDERING CONTRACTORS so dont bother with plastering

Cant beat the rendering. Fresh air all day, hate being in stuffy, dusty rooms all day but i take what pays the best and what is the longest contract. Atm roughcasting on site with 10 newbuilds ahead of me and a block of flats. Been offered 60 houses to start mid june/july so that could be me outside constant for another year

You should teach render systems but me thinks you would get bored with it.

Malc come July I have been 40 yrs in the saddle, Ive done miles and miles of rendering. all I was doing was letting off steam
with the weather been what it is this week.

henry i am in my fourty ninth year of this and this wont be the last. but when we choose to live on the edge of the artic circle dont put all your eggs in one basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.