rendering inside chimney breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollybank

Private Member
Hi i have taken all the fireplace out of a house was wondering what was the best thing for neutralising the sulpher that has formed on the inside.The customer wants me to render inside so he can put a multi fuel stove in.Was thinkin good brush down and coating it in thick pva with neat cement mixed with it,any comments would be welcome.Thanks. ???

i dont think its sulphur mate . i think its soot /tar

What ever steps you take here the soot /tar will still possbily come through the plaster.
The best way i can think of is to rebuil a wall as thinly as possible where it will be seen or maybe use brick tiles ???
Ive plastered several fireplaces over the years with soot problems and tried several different methods and the yellow patches allways come through the plaster /paintwork afterwards.
If you cant do this try painting with bitumus paint then rendering it.But it may still come through if theres a lot of soot build up.

clean of with wire brush,wash with parafin,paint wityh bitumus paint and then render it as normal OFFER NO GUARANTE THOUGH !

Cow dung used to be mixed with lime plasters in these situations to stop the stains coming through, serious.
Ive found it wont come through gloss paint.
Lucius.

Thanks guys heard the one about the cow dung a few years ago by on old spread [thought he was havinn me on]
when i was a lot younger.Think iwill go for the more cleaner way ie membrane,thanks for your advice guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.