rendering in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

owls

Private Member
how are other rendering outfits/individuals managing at the moment with the rain?

here in north yorkshire, it has rained at some stage during the day for 3 and a half weeks now. and thats after a wet may and the wetest june on record. ive had to lay lads off yesterday for the first time ever between march and November[our rendering season].
starting to get out of hand, i know of a few rendering firms near us which are really strugling and are likely to go out of business if it carries on. I was speaking to a parex rep on Monday and sales are 40% down :-0.

ive got a bay window to do for a mate and dont know when im getting that in so cant imagine how frustrating it must be for those who do externals fulltime.

dont know if its any help to you owls but ive got a bathroom ceiling that needs overskimming if youre quiet... cash of course :RpS_biggrin:

Did some pebble dash to day what a nightmare we started it rained we stop the sun came out we started it rained why does the weather forecast all say sunny with showers :RpS_confused:

Ive had a couple of gable ends to knock out since the middle of may and luckily the customers are sympathetic, was going to look into the price of getting the scaffolding covered but im guessing its gonna be proper pricey..........:RpS_cursing:

Losing at least 2 days a week at present. Never known a June/July like it and will need to have a serious rethink about taking on larger render jobs in the future as last summer was bobbins an all.

IT's very hard for outfits like yourself, can not be easy for you laying lads off. have you still got a good understanding with the firms you sub from what I mean is when the weather settles will they wait for you should you be backed up with work which should have been done weeks ago/

Yep its been bad. Got 2 jobs unfinished and a decent sized bungalow on hold. We've done 3 landscaped garden type jobs,small walls,steps, features etc lately and some of the mud flying around onto nice white walls has been a joke. The one we finished today the Landscaper rigged timbers and tarps over the whole area to be rendered. Not totally weather proof but was a good help. Only good thing about weather was being able to do next day scrapes.

ive got a bay window to do for a mate and dont know when im getting that in so cant imagine how frustrating it must be for those who do externals fulltime.

dont know if its any help to you owls but ive got a bathroom ceiling that needs overskimming if youre quiet... cash of course :RpS_biggrin:

im there tomorrow, have you got a spare trowel :RpS_thumbup:

Yep its been bad. Got 2 jobs unfinished and a decent sized bungalow on hold. We've done 3 landscaped garden type jobs,small walls,steps, features etc lately and some of the mud flying around onto nice white walls has been a joke. The one we finished today the Landscaper rigged timbers and tarps over the whole area to be rendered. Not totally weather proof but was a good help. Only good thing about weather was being able to do next day scrapes.

glad to hear its shite in your neck of the woods aswell steve, not just us. :RpS_laugh:

IT's very hard for outfits like yourself, can not be easy for you laying lads off. have you still got a good understanding with the firms you sub from what I mean is when the weather settles will they wait for you should you be backed up with work which should have been done weeks ago/

the problem is you start jobs ie apply backings etc, but there half finished so you cant get a draw until completion.
problem is tho as jobs over run its like a dominio effect they run over timescale, and you start another etc.Were usually booked up all summer , but were struggling to get it all done in time, but hey ho i guess everyones the same.

Another day off ffs!
Finished all me inside jobs inbetween aswell now.
Oh well at least I got a job to look at in a while....a render job :-0

Owl's do u not work outdoors at all through the winter?I'm based in the southwest so I know its slightly milder but still could not turn jobs down through winter months.also we do a lot of site work so I don't think they will wait 4 months.

im not 100% certain but im sure ive seen some jobs with the whole scaffold waterproofed............:RpS_unsure:
yup, I had 4 houses near Brighton scaffolded out and covered.
it worked well however make sure its covered in the clear reinforced debris sheet, otherwise its a bit dark.:RpS_lol:
That was back some ten years, the sheeting was half as much again as the scaffold.
We dropped on 2 full units straight after as a bonus find.

oh yes, the chimneys had to be rebuilt so easier to rainproof above on the gables.

Rock on !

Owl, found myself in the middle of a storm today mono the front of a house out ,now that was not fun ,but as i always say it depends on the wind direction ,not a bit wet ,more luck i think

i dont think its that pricey its my brothers mates firm they do it with some heat system you can have openings cut in once done and it dont flap about

Owl's do u not work outdoors at all through the winter?I'm based in the southwest so I know its slightly milder but still could not turn jobs down through winter months.also we do a lot of site work so I don't think they will wait 4 months.

not really pal, do bits and bats outside, last nov/dec was quite mild so got a bit done,but usually just take a holiday etc or do the odd flo screed and ocassionaly the odd plastering job

Owl, found myself in the middle of a storm today mono the front of a house out ,now that was not fun ,but as i always say it depends on the wind direction ,not a bit wet ,more luck i think

rained here again, but was wacking on maitie so didnt matter to much.
you were lucky there.

im there tomorrow, have you got a spare trowel :RpS_thumbup:

Yep got a spare trowel. Although it can't be cash now so you'll have to sort your own tax out.

Today its been sunny. Then hammering it down. Then sunny. Then hale stones. God knows how you'd work in that

my mate has a carpet business and is losing £3,000 a wk he told me the only thing people are buying is sand bags.

my mate has a carpet business and is losing £3,000 a wk he told me the only thing people are buying is sand bags.

Kerching!!!! ££££££'s
I'm off to stock up on sand bags :RpS_thumbup:

HI dear am newbie hare and there is no doubt that that raining season bring many problems on of them is water stay our houses and not flowed away because its not have way to flow out side in the purpose of prevent of it we should make fencing's out side of our home door....

We have been struggling the builders are still knocking the brick work up but we can't do a thing and when it does dry up we have 5 different clients going nuts cause we are not on there job and we are using all our winter work up, its bad times

HI dear am newbie hare and there is no doubt that that raining season bring many problems on of them is water stay our houses and not flowed away because its not have way to flow out side in the purpose of prevent of it we should make fencing's out side of our home door....

:RpS_confused:

how are other rendering outfits/individuals managing at the moment with the rain?

here in north yorkshire, it has rained at some stage during the day for 3 and a half weeks now. and thats after a wet may and the wetest june on record. ive had to lay lads off yesterday for the first time ever between march and November[our rendering season].
starting to get out of hand, i know of a few rendering firms near us which are really strugling and are likely to go out of business if it carries on. I was speaking to a parex rep on Monday and sales are 40% down :-0.
i know what your saying mate ,it,s the road we choose to do this outside gear ,but we do make hay when the sun is up ,keep your head up end of this week looking good !

i know what your saying mate ,it,s the road we choose to do this outside gear ,but we do make hay when the sun is up ,keep your head up end of this week looking good !

true, wouldnt have it any other way i guess.
got burnt to a crisp today 25c.

Status
Not open for further replies.