Rendering garden walls

kieran cassidy

hi everyone, bricklayer here looking for some advice.
I'm doing the garden at the minute and wanted to render some of the walls and have been getting ideas off the internet.
From what I can see most people are rendering from right down at the ground level.
I was going to do a couple course of engineers and then do blockwork on top for someone to render.
But I think it looks so much better when the entire wall is rendered.
So I have some questions:
Is it common practice to render from ground up as oppose damp course?
What is the best render to use? Sand cement or something like k-rend?
I'm not sure of ground levels just yet so if I don't render from ground up, I will be laying an extra course or 2 of engineers, can you render over engineers as they are very smooth and don't absorb water so can't imagine the render having a good stick.

I'll put some photos of what I'm trying to achieve

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0448.PNG
    IMG_0448.PNG
    986.7 KB · Views: 24,761
  • IMG_0449.PNG
    IMG_0449.PNG
    858.8 KB · Views: 14,783
  • IMG_0452.PNG
    IMG_0452.PNG
    668.1 KB · Views: 15,754
Render with sand and cement is my preferred choice, you can use a splatter coat for a key. Two coats of render leads to a better finish, i.e. Scratch coat ,then a floating coat a few days later. Some water proof in the first coat , yes ,render to the floor .

Render with sand and cement is my preferred choice, you can use a splatter coat for a key. Two coats of render leads to a better finish, i.e. Scratch coat ,then a floating coat a few days later. Some water proof in the first coat , yes ,render to the floor .

Thanks.

What's behind the walls your rendering? If it's soil etc your gonna need a membrane or tanking product to stop the moisture seeping through the blocks and weep holes. Make sure you have a coping on the top
Coloured silicone render would be my choice

I'm putting earth back behind that came out of the footing I dug with the machine, so was going to put some damp proof membrane on the inside, however looking at all the examples I have found no one seems to have weep holes. Whenever I build a normal retaining wall I will always put weep holes in so again bit confused on this

What are the main differences / benefits between a coloured silicone render and sand / cement render

Weep holes?!?!? I am sure he ment air bricks !
No garden walls have weep holes for drainage it's not like a house which has a cavity and air bricks etc. Without them a lot of pressure builds behind and no render would stand a chance of staying on

Weep holes?!?!? I am sure he ment air bricks !

Air bricks on a garden wall?????????????
No mate, weep holes to let any water weep out from behind the wall to prevent pressure building up behind the wall.
Learn something new every day don’t ya[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air bricks on a garden wall?????????????
No mate, weep holes to let any water weep out from behind the wall to prevent pressure building up behind the wall.
Learn something new every day don’t ya[emoji106]

The air brick was a joke mate , as I think the weep hole is as much a joke as the air brick on garden walls.

I have done something similar recently. You need to build your wall and then paint the inside of the blockwork with bitumen paint or blackjack. Don't bother with damp proof membrane it won't work and is difficult to form around corners and penetrations. Also you need to have holes in the wall at the bottom to allow water to drain out. Fill the bottom of the wall with gravel and put your holes down there - use 38 or 50mm upvs pipe. Put land fabric over your gravel and then back fill with soil.

If you don't want holes in the face of your wall then put a land drain in the bottom of your retained earth that drains to a soakaway or your surface water drain.

If you don't want holes in the face of your wall then put a land drain in the bottom of your retained earth that drains to a soakaway or your surface water drain.
What the f**k do you know about pressure behind a garden wall!

The air brick was a joke mate , as I think the weep hole is as much a joke as the air brick on garden walls.

I got it after I wrote my post. I mistook you for a dumbass which you are not.